Series V filters - slight haze

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Blooze, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Blooze

Blooze Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I picked up some Kodak Series V filters today in their cases for next to nothing and after cleaning them up noticed that if I shine a bright LED flashlight through several of them I see a slight haze covering about 2/3 of the filter from the center out. There isn't any separation that I can tell. I typically use the flashlight to check my cleaning job on filters and such. Just to hold them up to a normal light from across the room I don't notice it. It takes that bright light to really see it well, but the sun was down by the time I was done cleaning so I didn't get a chance to look at them outside in the sun. Just wondered if this would have much of an effect on the end result or not? I shot an outdoor auto show a couple of weeks ago and hadn't noticed that my sweaty arm had smeared the front of the lens with no major ill effects that I could tell on the negatives :whistling:

2. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can test for flare by measuring the film density obtained when something like a coffee can painted black on the inside, is placed in the field of view of a typical scene; high contrast or low contrast. You may indeed find for a low contrast scene, the haze on your filter has minimal effect. Whereas you may or may-not find increased 'black coffeecan' density with the filter in place during the high scene contrast test. Only testing can tell for sure.

3. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Use a lens hood and erase your memory of the haze... that slight haze will likely make no difference at all except if shooting directly into the sun.

4. Paul Glover

Paul Glover Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a series V yellow #8 with some visible haze as you describe and can't say I've noticed any difference at all because of it. I expect the kind of conditions which would cause a problem are the sort which would have my old Yashica TLR veiling and flaring all by itself anyway.

5. Blooze

Blooze Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks everyone. I'll give them a go to see if any I'll effects show up. Just figured I'd check with everyone else's experiences before I went and wasted film.

6. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Aren't most Series filters a gel sandwiched between glass?

I've got Harrison's that are like that.