setting up a camera bag

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by EASmithV, Mar 23, 2013.

1. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hello,

when you are putting your older large format lenses in the camera bag, and there are no lens caps for them, would you rather:

A. make a mat board sleeve for them to give them a hard sided case to then fit into padded dividers,

or

B. Just drop them into the padded dividers because the dividers are soft and won't damage the lens

I am leaning toward making mat board sleeves, but I don't want to put excessive wear on the lenses or even damage them any worse than just padding would. I am particularly worried about the rear elements because they are not recessed anywhere near as much as the front elements are. Also, the mat board option seems like it would generate more dust?

2. tessar

tessar Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use padded dividers, also the right size caps -- took some hunting, not too much -- for the rear elements on the lenses. I think the mat board would make for more dust, as you suggested.

3. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    camera wraps work well eric
    also those beer buddies, you know the foamy things to keep your beer from
    making yourhands too cold ...

4. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The disposible food containers made by Glad and the others work well.
    On most of the square ones, the sides are tapered, depending on the size of your board it will (may) suspend the lens above the bottom.
    The round ones work nicely for non-mounted lenses. Plus, they are light weight, and cheap.

Grocery stores are also a good source for slip-on caps, just find one that fits, and buy the can of whatever it's on, leave it in the food pantry collection box if it's not on your "food" list. (though probably not rear caps for most LF lenses)

5. onepuff

onepuff Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I would much rather source some proper lens caps that fit rather than make something from board as these will likely rub and generate dust and grit to scratch the front and rear elements. Front and rear caps are easily available and relatively cheap for a multitude of fitting sizes so why potentially ruin an expensive lens for little saving.

6. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  7. hdeyong

hdeyong Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I grab any older and well-worn wash cloths and those smaller hand towels that are around the house. Nice and soft, largely lint free, and when they get a little dusty, toss 'em in the wash. Also, really handy to have for a quick wipe down after a little rain shower, or for perspiration, or whatever. My bag's got two or three of them in it all the time.
    If one gets a hole or a tear, I then put it in the garage to use there, because they shed threads like crazy.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2013
  8. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They're called "stubbie coolers", John. At least that's what they're called here in Australia. :wink:

9. 250swb

250swb Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The plastic end caps from cardboard postal tubes work well. They don't need to fit perfectly, but one on the front, one on the back, and a rubber band over the top to stop them falling off. That's if Ebay doesn't offer anything better up.

Steve

10. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    that is good to know ! cause ... they fit perfectly on a 15" teleoptar ! :smile:

11. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Folks here in the US call them "beer coozies" (why I have no idea). I second the nomination for wraps - I have one for every large format lens, even if it has both front and rear caps. I label each wrap with the lens that goes in it so I don't have to worry about confusing them, and it helps to keep the lens caps organized - open the wrap just enough to remove the lens, drop the caps in, close the velcro on it again, and voila!