SHANGHAI 120 Vs Lucky 120

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by shadesofgrey, Jun 19, 2012.

1. shadesofgrey

shadesofgrey Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi everyone. Has anyone any knowledge of one or both of the above films. Has anyone tried both and come to a conclusion that one is better than the other for x reasons. They seem a viable alternative to using the better quality films that I use at present to test the medium format cameras that I repair/collect.

All the best.

Sam.

2. dances_w_clouds

dances_w_clouds Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have used both (tried) but the Lucky never made it as far as the first frame before jamming my insert. Twice this has happened and I only bought 3 rolls of it so maybe the third is the charm but I doubt I will be trying it. Shanghai is quite nice film if developed in Rodinal as anything else curls the hell out of the film. Quite nice contrast and easy on the grain. One of my favorite films price wise. I usually get 4 or 5 rolls every few months and the "Free Shipping" always gets my vote. Prints nice also.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2012
  3. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ive heard there is Lucky 120 but never found any. Do you have a source? I shoot the Shanghai GP3 a lot having secured some very cheap direct from Beijing as I lived there and have relatives go back too. A lot like Plus-X but curls a lot. Some examples here:

http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=38698047@N00&q=Gp3

4. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Funny, the only time I tried Lucky 120 both rolls jammed in my Mamiya RB67 backs. Maybe it's the tar paper-like backing?

5. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Both films are thin, and hard to deal with until you've filed them in neg sheets and they've had a few weeks to flatten. Otherwise I like them well enough.

I haven't had any issues with either one feeding improperly, though.

6. Terry Christian

Terry Christian Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've used both in 120, and Shanghai in 4x5 also. They're about the same, with about the same type of black backing paper; but if I have to pick one over the other, I might give Lucky the edge.
    rich815, I've always gotten my Lucky 120 off eBay, no certain seller, whomever is cheapest at any given time.

7. Richard S. (rich815)

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ah I see it now. About $3 a roll. Glad I still have 50+ of the GP3 I got for under $1. Heard it may not be being made anymore....

8. artonpaper

artonpaper Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A friend gave me a roll of each. He said to re-tape the leading edge of the film onto the backing prior to use to prevent jamming. That worked. Both films very similar in image quality.

9. dehk

dehk Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Reason why Lucky jammed its that shitty tape they used. I retape them to make sure they don't jam my backs.

10. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My opinion mirrors dances w clouds and rich815's...I've heard nothing but cheap and awful things about Lucky, and Shanghai GP3 was quite nice, when I used it in 120.

I used Rodinal and it was quite lovely. Crappy paper backing, though, and it did curl like sh!t unfortunately. But, as a film, it seemed OK.

I'm going to stick with Ilford and Kodak, quality wise and access-wise...but to answer your question, Shanghai film struck me as an OK choice.

11. Andrew K

Andrew K Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've used both films - I even shot the Shanghai ina Great Wall on the great Wall :smile:

I've had more problems with GP3 than Lucky when it comes to having it come unstuck form the backing paper (1 roll - out of over 100 rolls shot with both films)..

I use Ilfrod DDX or LC29, and the results are fine on both counts..

And yes - I do thing they've stopped making the GP3...

I may alwso have been lucky because the cameras I use have simple film paths (run straight from spool to spool, or in the case of a TLR over a couple of rollers, but nothing as complex as a RB or pentax 645..)

12. Athiril

Athiril Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Really love the GP3, gorgeous film.

Re: It not being made anymore, this idea came up some years ago as well, seems to keep coming around. Also many things in China are simply made on demand, when a distributor/seller needs more, they order some (big order), factory goes into production. Not sure if this is the case for GP3 or not.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2012
  13. Richard S. (rich815)

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hope you're right. I really like GP3. When my father-in-law went to pick some up for me on his last trip to Beijing a year or so ago I sent him to the places I knew should have it and one said nope and the other had some but said its no longer being made and what's in the distribution channel is it.

14. MartinP

MartinP Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I bought a super cheap lot of ten rolls of Shanghai GP3 out of curiosity, and to try in an ancient junkshop Agfa Clack. The first couple of rolls worked ok but the badly printed numbers were very hard to read through the red-window and also I found printed through frame-numbers on the negs. It seems the film is now the same price as Ilford or Kodak products and I don't think that is justifiable, based on the quality of results.

15. Pioneer

Pioneer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have not tried either one but at the prices it seems to recently go for on the 'Bay I think I will continue to work with the Arista EDU films. At least they have never jammed up in my Pentax 645.

16. dances_w_clouds

dances_w_clouds Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have found someone too that will supply NEW GP-3 but you have to order a minimum of 500 rls. Not likely I will be doing that but it is a nice film.

17. ambaker

ambaker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can still get it in date, with at least a year till expiration from that big bay in the cyber sky.

10 rolls for 29 bucks shipped. That doesn't mean it is in production now, but it's out there if somebody wants or needs it.

I only use it in my cams that do not have view windows. As others have mentioned, the numbers are very difficult to see, and the light can leave the number printed on the film.

18. shadesofgrey

shadesofgrey Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks one and all for the info. A great help and very interesting views. I've ordered 10 rolls of Shanghai (free post of course Terry/D-W-C) so that should keep me going and allow me time to get use to it. I'd heard that it has a real bad curl though a friend said that once the negs were in the neg bags he placed them on his light-box for an hour or so with a heavy book on top of them, then turned the light box off so as to allow them to cool naturally and bingo, no curl? Maybe I'll checkout his words of wisdom soon. I notice that 'Rodinal' gets the thumbs up, why and in what dilution?

Thanks again guys, your time and help much appreciated.

All the best.

Sam.

"Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

Absolutely brilliant Colin.

19. Richard S. (rich815)

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My Flickr link above with GP3 examples all have time/temp/dilution and agitation I used.

20. shadesofgrey

shadesofgrey Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi Rich. Yep, got them book marked and noted in my Dev cookbook folder. Why the variety of Devs? Experimentation or choosing to suit film/subject?

Sam.

21. Richard S. (rich815)

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Do be sure to note the temp difference. Just happened to be warmer water some days so time adjusted accordingly to compensate. Otherwise often when the subject or scene is bright or contrasty I will over-expose 1/2 to a full stop and pull back development time 10-15%. I also primary scan my negs and find a slightly less developed (and less contrasty) neg scans better.