Shanghai

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by arigram, Jan 6, 2011.

1. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    At the middle of February, I will be going to Shanghai and I will be staying for quite some time. You see, I will be attending at the Jiao Tong university's language and culture program and next semester going for a master's degree.
    I have not given up photography, although I have slowed down lately, so I will be bringing my Rolleiflex and a couple Holgas.

So, you know what I am asking you

1) If anyone wants to meet, or maybe pointers to local photographers and other artists
    2) Photographic stores that still carry analog materials and could develop a C-41 film
    3) Any other kinds of advice, photographic project ideas, living tips, that sort of thing

2. vinci

vinci Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    There two huge photographic malls in Shanghai, one in the vicinity of the central railway station (South entry, not very easy to find), the other one is called "Xing Guang" and can be found quite easily: Take the Metro line 8 to the station "South Xi Zang Road", the Mall is at the crossroads of Lu Ban Road and Xie Tu Road. Besides a whole log of digital things, you can also find films (kodak, Fuji, Lucky, etc.).

Forget C41 development, it's a mission impossible to find a store with adequate quality, because 99.9% of the people is shooting digital now.

3. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Ryan Pyle is in Shanghai, I process and print for him and he is a wonderful individual. I am sure that he could be helpful to you.
    Originally from Toronto

good luck with your move.

4. cowanw

cowanw Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    This sounds very exciting. Maybe you will blog your experiences.

5. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Shanghai is fun---I've been there a couple of times but never had time to photograph with much seriousness. It's quite a cosmopolitan city, with a much more "modernised" feel than other Chinese cities in my experience. (More consistent restaurants, too, which is a big deal---I've had some of the best meals of my life in China, but also a few of the worst!) I suppose being there for a semester will give you a good chance to make local contacts and find out about the little back corners that visitors don't easily discover.

I get the sense that it's a city that has everything. For example, when I was there I was trying to find a specific museum exhibit, and ended up learning---by exhaustive search---that Shanghai has *three* distinct insect museums! Really, a city that can provide multiple options for your bug-viewing pleasure must have just about everything covered, wouldn't you think? :smile:

-NT

6. dfoo

dfoo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I lived in Shanghai for 5 years. I'll be heading back for 6 weeks in the spring. It is without a doubt the greatest street photography city on earth. If you have any specific questions or need a hand feel free to PM me. It isn't hard to find C-41 development. There are Kodak stores all over the place that will develop for you very cheaply. However, the negatives will come back with fingerprints, dust spots and so on. For professional development, on the 3rd floor of xing guang in Shanghai there is a place that will develop everything (B&W/C-41/slide). Directly opposite from the top of the escalator. Sorry, but I can't remember the name of the shop.

Edit: I remember the name of the shop now. yi qian image. They have a location in xing guang and in xujiahui. They also have a website, but I can't find the link at present.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2011
  7. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Try find a book by Justin Guariglia called "Planet Shanghai" ...an interesting read and a good take on a fascinating city.

8. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thank you all, really.
    Your suggestions and information is very much appreciated and I am writing everything down.
    I've been to China a couple times and spent two days in Shanghai, on a couple journalistic travels, but they were sniffs of an appetiser, just enough to make you want to jump on this cultural feast until you burst out.

I have a good contact in Shanghai and she's been very helpful so far and I am hungry for adventure and exploration, as this is what my focus is in life.

I am tad concerned that I only have a bit over a dozen rolls of HP5+ and i am considering the possibility of either stocking up before I leave, or continuing with Lucky, with which I had good luck on my last trip, even though its soiled reputation (I even opened up a thread here). Digital? Still not interested.

I have considered writing a sort of a journal, maybe even a blog...
    If you have any suggestions for explorative visual projects, don't be shy!
    My plans include not only language and a sense of history, but painting, calligraphy, martial arts, dance, cooking and all other riches I can discover. Of course, people!

On another note, do you think there would be any sort of opportunity of finding work a photographer?

9. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'd line up any contacts or possibilities for work *before* you leave. Keep your eyes open there but it's a huge city, hypermodern and hypercompetitive.

There is a camera mall there, you'll be able to find film there -- Ilford or Chinese brands. Shanghai GP3 is EI-100 but the half dozen or so rolls I've shot (120) I've been impressed with.

10. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thank you Colin.
    I am actually looking for people in Greece interested in my voyage and its artistic possibilities and have made a couple moves so far. I am not a bad photographer and I am sure, not many people plan to spend months in such a rich environment studying its culture, so there are prospects for cooperation!

I am hunting for an apartment in smartshangai.com, possibly in the French Concession, or somewhere else convenient to JiaoTong.

11. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  12. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Speak to the papers and magazines, you will need to have digital capture but the mere fact you are there may interest them.

13. dfoo

dfoo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ooo.. shanghaiexpat.com. It can be a valuable site, but lots of racist idiots.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thank you for the information, I need all the help I can get.
    I am also trying to establish some contacts here.

16. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have absolutely no advice to offer, and don't mean to hijack the thread, but wow... sounds like an awesome plan for you. I hope you will blog about it!! Best wishes on preparing, and looking forward to hearing about your adventures.

17. Shangheye

Shangheye Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Hey Ari, I am in Shanghai at least once a month and normallr for one or two weeks. Next trip is in week of 21st Feb....would love to meet. let me know if you are up for it. Send me a PM.

For the photographic store, try the photographic centre on Luban Lu (don't have address on hand)..it's a treasure trove of analog equipment too...too bad the Renmimbi is so strong right now.

For living trips...well I lived there 4 years, and the place changes quickly, buut for sure you will find everyting you need there. For photographic tips, well it's an easy place to photograph and like all rapidly changing metropolis's there are endless subjects.

K
    Rgds, K

18. dfoo

dfoo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Good mention on the strong renminbi. Photographic equipment in Shanghai is not cheap... bring whatever equipment you need (other than film).

19. johnnywalker

johnnywalker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I used to spend a lot of time in China, but have never been to Shanghai except to change planes. I'm sure it is a street photographer's paradise and that you will enjoy your stay immensly. Like Suzanne, I hope you start a blog to keep us up-to-date with your experiences. I have only good memories of China and trust yours will be the same.

20. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thank you, once more.
    I am opening up all possibilities both of cooperation and of learning opportunities.
    I am hungry to devour as much culture and knowledge as I can.
    Also, I am speaking to people here, just in case someone cares about my trip. Maybe, I can even get an artistic project going, so creating not just learning.

The whole equipment thing has me thinking a lot.
    I don't know if I can get film before I leave and I don't have that much.
    I plan to bring a whole lot of cameras though, the Hasselblad or the Rolleiflex, an Holga or two and my DSLR.

We'll see.

21. cowanw

cowanw Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Keep the reports coming

22. blaze-on

blaze-on Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Taxi's are cheap. the drivers would scare any US drivers...get you there quick though...

Shanghai central University has an excellent darkroom

Foot massages are about $6 USD. Awesome after a day on the streets

KE Art Center - http://www.kecenter.org.cn/en/aboutus.html

If you can get out of the city, the water villages are quite unique (Wu Zhen)

23. derekj

derekj Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Im also going to be in Shanghai late feb. Send me a PM.

Taxis are a good choice in Shanghai but i would get someone to write down some addresses in Chinese for the places you go often. I would also buy a prepaid mobile number so you can call up a friend/contact who speaks chinese and can translate for you in case you get seriously lost or something. In my experience, very few people speak any English although most will try to be helpful.

24. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am packing and getting ready to go...
    (decided to go with film again... hard headed...)
    [​IMG]

25. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    aristotelis:

Enjoy the journey!

26. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Seconded. And in case you need something to listen to on the road, here's the song that always gets caught in my head when travelling there:
    http://cylinders.library.ucsb.edu/mp3s/5000/5451/cusb-cyl5451d.mp3
    (public domain MP3, from an Edison cylinder so the sound quality is a bit rough).

The lyrics are somewhat racist by modern standards, but it's still a well-executed piece of songwriting, and in 1917 I'm sure it sounded completely innocuous.

-NT