Sharpest Hand Held MF Camera

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by emanded, Aug 27, 2008.

1. emanded

emanded Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Any views on the sharpest hand held MF set up?
    I have an Xpan which I use for 35mm - very sharp. I also have a Mamiya RZ system that I use for tripod work. What I'm looking for is something to fill the gap as I sometimes need to print 12x16 or above and the 35mm loses a little when enlarged over this size - especially if the frame is cropped.
    I need to be able to take it anywhere and use mostly hand held.

2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Probably Mamiya 7II or a Linhof 2x3" Technika with modern cammed lenses or Fuji rangefinders or Plaubel Makina of recent vintage.

3. donbga

donbga Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    Mamiya 7!

4. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Mamiya 6 system is my preference for resolution per pound. These are all very good suggestions.

5. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There is no answer to this.
    Because it depends on what hands are holding the thing how. Not the camera that is being held.

6. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I use Mamiya 7 and Fuji 6x9 and don't drink a lot of coffee before using them.

7. phaedrus

phaedrus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A Hasselblad with a sturdy neck strap, A12 filled with 400-TMY2 and Bob's your uncle down to shutter speeds of 1/focal length.

8. Shangheye

Shangheye Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The ideal set up I find is a long nights sleep before, no alcohol for a month, plenty of light for a good shutter speed and aperture, and ofcourse a static subject :wink:

...oh.... I use a bronica with speed handle.

9. mcfactor

mcfactor Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
  10. wilsonneal

wilsonneal Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    kind of a question with many right answers, but mine is: rolleiflex. leaf shutter. no mirror. stable, anchored, waist-level position. yashicas and mamiyaflexes for the same reason, but i think lenses on rolleiflexes are marginally better.
    neal

11. Jose A Martinez

Jose A Martinez Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    agree, if you follow this instructions my suggestion is a Hassel, if not, a Mamiya 7.

12. emanded

emanded Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Probably sort out the last two criteria but I'm gonna struggle with the first two...!

13. sanking

sanking Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Since the OP mentioned final print size as a criteria I believe that Mamiya 7 6X7 format or Fuji 6X9 format will easily beat any other system for hand held exposures.

Sandy King

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Larry.Manuel

Larry.Manuel Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Upfront my bias: I use three Rollei TLRs. Many times I've been amazed at the detail in my negatives. Recently, I photographed, handheld, a guy at rest with his bike. From 10 - 12 feet away, I was using ACROS film, EI 200, developed in DD-X. On the negative I could easily see thousands of his leg hairs. Those didn't make it through the printing process at my local shop. The scan [300 dpi, supposedly] is too low resolution. I don't complain; prints [proofs for me] are 60 cents each [6"x6"]. I'll see those details when printed with enlarger.

My Rolleis are all 3.5 lenses; Tessar and two Xenars.

16. patrick parker

patrick parker Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I recently purchased a plaubel 67. Didn't get a chance to test it yet. As far as sharpness goes has anyone got to compare one of these?

17. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For hand held I really like my Mamyia 6, the 50s version, fixed lens, leaf shutter, very light weight. I can also hand hold by Mamyia Univerasal, but the sharpest negatives I gotten is from the 6.

18. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I vote for the Fuji GW670 II & GSW690 III! :D

gene

19. MikeSeb

MikeSeb Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Mamiya 7. Damn fine camera, mind-blowingly good lenses.

20. 36cm2

36cm2 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I would love to say Rolleiflex (which I own, shoot and love), but I would have to second all the Mamiya 6/7 votes. I love the look of Plaubel shots (I saw a Wim Wenders exhibit last year that was shot almost exclusively on the Makina 670 and it was awesome), but I still think the Mamiya 6 is sharper.

21. Phillip P. Dimor

Phillip P. Dimor Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The sharpest MF camera i've ever used hand held was the Mamiya 7. That was with the 'normal' lens. Very, very sharp. Visibly sharper than my Pentax 645 negatives (and I think that's pretty sharp)

It's a great camera, if I had money to spend i'd probably buy one.

22. Claire Senft

Claire Senft Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    A Linhof Press 70 with 53 Biogon, 80and 100mm Planars and 180mm Sonnar would work very nicely. It will not going to be easy to find this equipment. There are also Schneider lenses available for the camera.

23. AutumnJazz

AutumnJazz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You don't wish to walk around with the RZ67?

:sad:

(I'm trying to convince myself that I can spend all day with 10 lbs. over my shoulder.)

I went to B&H recently, trying to find the MF camera for me...and my top two were the RZ67 and 7II.

24. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The factors that will contribute most to sharpness are: 1. a fast lens, to allow faster shutter speeds, 2. lack of a flipping mirror, to make the camera less shaky, 3. eye level vs. waist level shooting, and 4. film selection. The faster the better, to allow faster shutter speeds.

I would pretty much totally ignore the technical specs of the lenses, as they are all good, and focus more on final results. Just to make up an example, Hassy might make a "better" normal lens than the one for Mamiya 7, but the fact that the Hassy is an SLR might negate this advantage for hand-held use.

With this in mind, I would say you should start looking at cameras that are not SLRs. TLRs, Mamiya 7s, Mamiya Press, Graflex and Linhof press cameras, etc.

TLRs will have some of the fastest lenses of the lot, give you a mirror for *perfect focusing accuracy* and very good compositional accuracy, unlike a rangefinder, and give you the advantage of waist or chest level shooting, which is very stable compared to eye level shooting with the Mamiya 7, Press, etc.

This has nothing to do with why I made my above comments, but my work has a user Rolleicord IId in (75mm f/3.5 Schneider Xenar lens) that we are going to E-Bay. I think it is early 1950s vintage. It fires at all speeds, and they sound close enough to use, although the shutter cocking lever seems a bit mushy and the shutter speed and aperture control levers are stiff. I would CLA it, but it works, is a user, and will likely go for peanuts when we auction it. (I am thinking $40 or so.) If you are interested, let me know via PM and I'll send you the link when we EBay it. Would love to sell directly on APUG, but I don't personally have the authority to do that.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2008
  25. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The sharpest one would be the one easiest to hold steady and hold the film the flattest. So, it would be heavy, it would have a leaf shutter and perhaps a wide angle lens and an electronic shutter release and use either a vacuum film back (for roll film) or have a sheet film holder.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2008
  26. Robert Budding

Robert Budding Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sharpest? There are several that are sharp enough!