Shelby Lee Adams article in B&W

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by Dan Henderson, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I perused the latest issue of B&W magazine today while enjoying a cup of tea at Barnes and Noble. Included is an article and portfolio of photographs of the people of Appalachia by Shelby Lee Adams. A photograph of Adams' that accompanies the article is the wet plate picture made by our very own Bill Schwab at Photostock 2009.

2. Paul Sorensen

Paul Sorensen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice! Good work to both Shelby and Bill.

3. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I noticed that cover article, and specifically bought it to be able to read more about him and his work.

Yeah, I know it's all out there already but I want the magazine. :smile: I'd love to know how he lit the cover photograph.

4. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    From having heard him talk about his work in person and watching videos about him, I know that he uses strobes, umbrellas, etc. to light many of his pictures.

5. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Hi Dan

I have heard him talk a couple of times now and I just am in awe of his work.
    He is such an amazing gentleman and he deserves all the recognition he is getting now and in the future.
    I believe he will go down as one of the greats in social documentary photography.
    He is very humble, and very open with his work , methods and is a great inspiration for photographers to follow.

6. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hi back, Bob. Amen to everything you said. I have been privileged to be around some really good photographers (and printers) but I think I have been most profoundly affected by SLA.

I noticed your post about Kudzu the other day. I may be relocating to Roanoke, Virginia later this year and I am looking forward to finding many Kudzu-overtaking buildings in that area.