Shelf life of ferric oxalate

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by Jarvman, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Jarvman

Jarvman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just wondering what the shelf life of this stuff is. I've got some from B&S with my platinum/palladium kit a few weeks back but won't be making my first prints until middle to late Feb after a gracious demo off Paul Cafell. I've popped it in the fridge cause I read this apparently makes a difference. Any thoughts and experiences would be great. I've heared between 3 and 6 months.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2009
  2. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I would say 6 to be safe but have made great prints from year old solution.

3. DarkroomDan

DarkroomDan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have never tried this but, in her book "Alternative Processes Condensed", Christina Anderson says you can test FO by mixing a "pinch" of potassium Ferricyanide in 25ml of distilled water then add a drop of your FO. If the solution turns blue, it is bad. If it turns brown, it is ok.

Dan

4. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Feb won't be a problem. I usually buy a couple 25ml bottles at a time and toss one in the fridge until I get around to needing it. Vaughn

5. Jarvman

Jarvman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Cheers all. I've just looked on the site and it's really cheap so if needs be I can just buy another bottle of it further down the line. Don't want to rush through 30 odd prints just to use the stuff up!

6. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Exactly -- and there is no reason to chance the expensive stuff (pt/pd) by saving a few bucks using old cheap stuff.

Vaughn

7. Trevor Crone

Trevor Crone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I usually ditch mine after a few months and make up fresh from formula.

8. gwatson

gwatson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    FO is cheap. Silverprint is finally selling the stuff in the UK now (God bless 'em). My advice is to buy it in powder and, as Trevor suggests, make up a few months supply and replace it every 4-5 months. You could get away with longer, but in my experience, it's not worth the bother. Getting it into solution is no where near as painful as it's reputation predicts; in fact I have more problems getting the pd salts into solution (always end up filtering out metalic particles - still don't know why ??). A dash of EDTA helps, but that's a matter of personal choice.

Cheers

Geoff