Shen Hao 5x7 camera

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Dracotype, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Dracotype

Dracotype Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Has anyone recently done business with Shen Hao cameras? The reason I ask is that I was considering either the 4x5 model or the 5x7 model. I would much like to get the 5x7 model, but there is no importer, so direct contact is a must. If anyone has done business with Shen Hao this way, help would be appreciated. If you could include details that would be great too.

Drew

2. MattCarey

MattCarey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Are you sure that the regular importers can't get you one as a special order?

Matt

3. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not recently but I got my 5x7 that way. No great hardship really. You might check the Shen Hao user group forum for more info on the process.

If you do intend to order direct it makes sense to fill out the order with anything you might need. The prices direct from the factory for some things are cheaper and you'll already being paying shipping for the big heavy camera so adding a few odds and ends won't hurt.

4. Dracotype

Dracotype Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I did look on Badger Graphic and they did not have the 5x7 model. I heard that they could not special order it either. But this brings up a question: will I be short shrifting myself if I get the 4x5 as opposed to 5x7?

Drew

5. Buster6X6

Buster6X6 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Drew
    You should contact Sandy King he had one for sale end of last year.
    Saves you a lot of hassle and shipping cost and he might have some accessories with the camera.

Greg

6. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Depends on why you want the 5x7?

The 4x5 is about 50% or a greater amount cheaper.

The 4x5 I think goes a little wider.

It's also lighter.

OTOH the 4x5 won't manage 5x7.

The bellows are shorter then the 5x7.

Depends on what you want.

7. Ruvy

Ruvy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have considered buying directly from them and have been in touch with a guy whose name I forgot. They are very nice and cooperative however there were two problems:
    Cost of camera was only $475 - very attractive but shipping to Israel was something like $250 for the 4X5. 2 the manufacturer don't have an export licens which makes things difficult. They use Seagul (I think) to dothe export and bythe time I got there I felt really lost and confused so I dropped the whole idea and got another camera all together.

Hope it helps, if you have more questions please e-mail me

8. Dracotype

Dracotype Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I guess I am going to talk myself out of 5x7 with everyone's help! :D

What I really want is portability. I just cannot see this happening with 5x7 so easily. Plus there is the lack of film selection for 5x7, which might make a small difference. And I like wider, rather than longer. Ho hum, I guess I did talk myself out of it after all. :D Thanks anyways.

Drew

9. Rick Olson

Rick Olson Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Well, I have the Shen-Hao 5 x 7 camera and purchased it directly from the manufacturer in Shanghai, China via a wire transfer. Pretty painless and I had the camera in a few weeks. Contact Mr. Zhang Fuming at zhangfmli@vip.sina.com. No worries with film since I primarily shoot B & W. If you need color, get the 4 x 5 back for the camera. Best of both worlds, very portable and quite solid.

Rick

10. noseoil

noseoil Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rick, how much was the total, with shipping etc? tim

11. sanking

sanking Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I did offer my Shen-Hao for sale last year around this time, but later decided to keep it. I might still be interested in selling it because it is seeing virtually no use at all due to the fact that I have another 5X7 that I travel with by air, and tend to use my ULF cameras out of the car.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in my 5X7 Shen-Hao, which is in Mint condition with case and both 4X5 and 5X7 backs, contact me directly by personal mail at sanking@clemson.edu to discuss details.

Sandy

12. Rick Olson

Rick Olson Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hello Tim ... In August 2005, I paid about $1350.00 (camera, lens board and case only) plus about $45.00 for the Bank of America wire transfer fee. I did not get the 4 x 5 reducing back.

Rick

13. noseoil

noseoil Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Many thanks, Rick. Are you happy with it? tim

14. CRhymer

CRhymer Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Got a 6x17 back from the factory about a year ago. I was a little wary, but I saw Sandy King's post (I believe on another list) referring to fast service/good buying experience. The back was shipped by Fedex for about $75.00, as I recall. It took 36 hours from Shanghai to Canada and eight days to my remote location. When I opened the package there was $30.00US in cash included as a refund for bank charges that were not incurred. It just doesn't get any better than that. Shipping may seem a bit expensive, but I have paid as much per weight/volume from the US or even within Canada. If you are not in a remote location you should get delivery in a few days.

15. Willie Jan

Willie Jan Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    i bought a 4x5 shen hao last october from shenhao direct through mr zhang...

went ok. I got also the 6x12 back.
    camera works fine and looks good and stable.

the only problem was with the 6x12 back, the black metal finish is to shiny so there were lines on my transparencies from reflection.

16. Rick Olson

Rick Olson Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    To Tim and all others interested ... yes, I am very happy with the Shen Hao 5 x 7 camera. I was looking at Ebony options and the Walker 5 x 7 wide, but just couldn't deal with the expense. I was a little apprehensive about sending almost $1400.00 to China by wire but after corresponding with Mr. Zhang Fuming at Shen Hao over the course of a few days, it seemed that it would be fine. With the money I saved, I spent extra for a new Schneider 210 L lens, a Black Jacket focusing cloth and some 5 x 7 film holders. The camera has generous movements and folds to a compact size. I travel with it (by air) using a Lowepro Photo Trekker AWII backpack. This will hold the camera, film holders, film, lenses and anything else I can stuff in it. I was worried about processing the film at first, then after reading forums, I came up with an idea that works well and allows me to have cleanly developed sheets, although I have to process one sheet at a time. I simply use a Paterson tank and load one sheet sideways in it. I am using minimal-agitation development with Pyrocat (thanks Sandy King and others for your writings on this) so this process is perfect for me. Using multiple tanks, I can process a few sheets at a time. I am returning to large format photography after several years and I am enjoying it very much.

17. David E

David E Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Shen- hao 5x7

Hello Rick,

how do you like the Shen-Hao? No one in the US carries it and I have no luck
    calling the factory # from the wesite or with e-mails. You obviously figured
    out a way. Any advice?

thank you,

David

18. Rick Olson

Rick Olson Member

Shooter:
    Large Format

David .... here is the e-mail address I used: zhangfmli@vip.sina.com

19. David E

David E Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Shen-hao 5x7

I am really enjoying this camera. Ordering it from China required some patience but well worth the effort. I had to sell a few lenses to purchase other lenses better suited for the larger negative.

david

20. kjsphoto

kjsphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    5x7 with 4x5 back = killer bellow draw!

Do it!

21. cblurton

cblurton Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Seagull Trading Company

Hi:

I bought a Shen-Hao 4x5 and accessories a couple of months ago from Joyce at Seagull Tradng Company in Shanghai (contact information below). I had been in communication with Mr. Zheng at Shen-Hao (zhangfmli@vip.sina.com). I found both of them to be very helpful, but Joyce to be a little faster in terms of her correspondence with me. This is not too suprising since Mr. Zheng is apparently the Chairman of the Board of Shen-Hao, as well as their customer service representative.

By the way, I am an American citizen living in Hong Kong so the shipping costs were quite reasonable.

Best wishes,

Craig

Joyce
    joyce@camerachina.com
    Shanghai Seagull Trading Inc.
    2F,No.1038,Yang Shu Pu Road,
    Shanghai 200082,China
    T: +86-21-65085815*6606
    F: +86-21-65085823