Shen Hao/Linhof boards

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Greg Davis, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I am thinking of changing my camera from a Graphic to a Shen Hao, and I have a question about the lens boards. Are they flat on the back? Or do they have a lip or recess? I need to know because I will have to make an adapter board to my Kodak Master 8x10.

2. Willie Jan

Willie Jan Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    the shen hao boards are chinese copies of linhof lensboards.
    So they have a higher ring on the back around the hole.

3. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Is that ring centered or off-set?

4. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Slightly off centre, but you're best to get hold of one to match te adaptor to.

Ian

5. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Ian, is this off center ring on generic boards as well? Or just the Linhof brand? Looking at Badger Graphic, they have Shen Hao brand boards with the hole both off center or centered. If the hole were centered, wouldn't it impact this ring on a Copal 3 hole?

And does anyone know if the Shen Hao is meant to have the lens on a centered board or an off center board?

6. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Which Shen? The bigger ones used to come with adapters to Sinar boards. For lenses in a 3 it can be better to mount it on the Sinar board.

I use Nikon,Shen,no name and real Linhof boards. They all work.

7. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I am looking at the 4x5 cameras.

8. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The ring that forms the light trap is always off-center, but the hole may or may not be off-center, depending on the camera, intended use, and any issues having to do with the physical size of the lens. On a Linhof, for instance, the hole should generally be below center, but with a large rear cell or a large shutter, it may not fit the camera that way, so the hole may be positioned higher in such cases.

9. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Greg, I have Linhof, Wista, Toyo & Chinese boards about 11 or 12, mine are all identical in fit, I checked them last year.

Ian

10. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Ian, do you use them on a Linhof or a Shen Hao? I know the Linhof is designed to be used with the hole lower than center, but is the Shen Hao? This will determine which board I get. Knowing that there is a ring on the back to act as a baffle lets me design an adapter board that is easy to build, and I can either center the hole or not for that baffle depending on whether the lens is centered or not. The question remains, though, as to whether the Shen Hao cameras are designed to have the lens centered on the board in zero position, or slightly lower like the Linhof.

11. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Greg, while I use mine on a Wista the ring on the back is in exactly the same position on all my boards to well within 0.5mm. The boards I have are fully interchangeable with Linhof, Toyo, & Shen Hao cameras. There has be a small bit of tolerance on the camera's to allow the boards to fit, they are slipped in at an angle, unlike the Graphics, so the hole on the front standard is larger than that rear rings diameter, by maybe 2mm.

Ian

12. S.K. Grimes

S.K. Grimes Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Shen Hao cameras are design to have the mounting hole located in the center of the circular light lip.

-Adam

13. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Thanks, Adam and Ian. That is the question I needed answered most. That means I will need to make the hole in my Kodak board in the center, as well. I appreciate everyone's patience and input.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    But I don't have to have the board slipped in at an angle if I am making my own adapter. I am thinking of using the clips from a graphic and clamp from both top and bottom to allow the tightest possible fit in the baffle. I will bet a baord and see what I am up against.

16. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Adam's info above may pertain to 4x5 or older cameras, but my brand new FCL810-A is designed around a low hole in the lensboard and is shipped with a board as such.

The lens board I got with the camera (clearly marked "SHEN HAO" on the back) has a lowered hole.

The axis tilt on the front standard of my Shen Hao 8x10 is lined up with a lowered hole. I have C3 and a C1 boards there is no issue mounting a C3 shutter in the board with the low riding hole. Pictures show a Copal 3 mounted on a SHEN HAO brand lensboard with a low riding hole. If the lens were mounted up higher on the board, the lensboard locking mechanism would interfere.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2009
  17. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Is the hole centered within the ring on the back or is it lower than that?

18. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Many camera's need the lens centred low (in the circle of the rear of the lens board) because the front standard has little drop front but plenty of rise. But it's always within the ring.

A year or so ago there where some tolerance problems with one of the Chinese 5x4's and the Linhof style board, but this was a front standard issue which should have been 100% compatible with any of the boards.

Ian

19. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The hole center is lower than the center of the ring on the back.

20. Mick Fagan

Mick Fagan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Greg, I don't own any actual Shen Hoa lens boards, all of them are from different manufacturers.

I have the ubiquitous 4x5 wooden folder, which is pretty much what the majority of the owners have.

What I can tell you is that if you are wishing to put a large shutter, and/or large lens onto the 4x5, you'll more than likely have to have it centred, otherwise you will have some difficulty with external clearance on the front. The rear is fine for clearance, but the fron is bit tight.

I built my own lens board out of 3mm ply for a Calumet Ilex Caltar 215mm lens in a No. 3 Acme Synchro shutter (Ilex), it's a big mother on that camera, but it's beautiful.

The shutter has approximately 5.8mm clearance on all four sides from the edge of the lens board.

Mick.

21. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Try mounting one of the big scheinder lenses :surprised: I couldn't manage unless I used a Sinar board. Fuji lenses weren't an issue.

22. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    When there's a will, there's a way--

[​IMG]

11.5" Verito on a Wista Technika-type board mounted by rear threads via a custom S.K. Grimes two-ring fastener.

23. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I have no doubt I can get my 300mm APO-Symmar onto one of their 4x5 cameras. I just don't know which board they designed this camera to use, the one with the hole centered on the board? The one with the hole centered in the baffle ring? The one with the hole lower than the center of the baffle ring? That is my confusion since I don't have the camera yet, and can't see one in person.

24. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Supposedly for the Scheinder there is a spacer that moves the shutter away from the lensboard. I tried looking for one but it was far easier to just use the bigger board. Without it the whole thing wouldn't fit the camera. I guess it could have been front mount on the board like my old Fuji-L is .

25. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As I posted, the Linhof style boards that Shen-Hao makes and sells have an off-center hole. If you look at the Badger graphics site you can see the 4x5 cameras with these boards in place (and the low hole). Also, here is a picture of the 3 boards Shen-Hao makes. Even the #3 has an off center hole.
    https://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=131

26. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As all the boards are identical it makes no difference. You can drill the hole where you want, or buy centered or offset.

What you really mean is what lenses should be off-set on the camera. At the moment that's not an issue as your 10x8 should have more than enough rise & fall anyway, to more than compensate, and a 300mm tends not to need being offset (lower) on a Linhof style board.

Lenses like 135/150 perhaps 180mm tend to be offset when the standard has little or no fall but olenty of rise, as this allows easier use of front tilt, shorter lenses than these need far less rise/fall/tilt anyway to achieve quite significant movements.

So for your adaptor just assume offset.

Ian