Shenhao - How Wide can you go?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by BOSS565, Apr 30, 2006.

1. BOSS565

BOSS565 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    With a 4x5 Shenhao what is the most extreme wide angle lens anyone is using? I have a bag bellows and an 80mm lens now. If you have any experiences I like to know. Thank you.

2. glbeas

glbeas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have an older Shen Hao with the standard bellows, this one doesn't interchange. I use a 65mm Angulon on it quite regularly. Theres very little movement possible with it. You have to set the front standard at the front of the rail and do the preliminary focus bringing the rear standard up from the rear so the rail doesn't show in the frame. I haven't seen any falloff of illumniation with this lens yet.

3. kjsphoto

kjsphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    I had a Shen and used a Fujinon 90 with no problems at all with the standard bellows. I think I could get a bit wider but the 90 was all I had.

4. Alexz

Alexz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, so far I do with 90mm (Caltar-N II f/6.8) with SH regular bellows. Its certainly doable, but gets already stiff and if more then moderate movements are required for this lens it can tricky.
    I made up my mind for their bag bellow particularily to work conveniently with 90mm lens (don't intend to go wider so far).

Alex

5. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I shoot a 75 with the bag bellows on the Shen Hao. If I don't need much movement, I shoot the 75 with the standard bellows too. I believe that with the bag, you can use a 58 even with a flat lensboard. I would use a recessed board with anything super-wide like a 65, 58 or 47, and the bag bellows, just to insure that you get enough flexibility for movement of the standards. At those extremely short lengths, your rear element of the lens is literally a few milimeters from the ground glass, and the standards are hard against one another.