Shipping a 35mm camera to China

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by bambolero, Jul 19, 2011.

1. bambolero

bambolero Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hello,

can a 35 mm cameras along with a few lenses be shipped to China? The last item on the USPS prohibitions list has me confused? " Wrist-watches, cameras, television sets, radio sets, tape records, bicycles, sewing machines, and ventilators..."
    http://pe.usps.com/text/imm/ce_009.htm#ep1400280

Has anyone shipped their gear to China successfully?
    An ebay customer from China has been asking and I am not sure what to tell her.

2. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How about calling Chinese embassy or consulate and inquire? It seems the document is saying cameras are prohibited in very plain English. (which sounds strange to me but oh well....) Few (or many) getting through by mistake or omission may not be a proof enough that your particular package will go through. You may lose your camera, money, or both.

3. bambolero

bambolero Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thanks, I find it odd as well to say the least. I will call USPS tomorrow see of they can shed some light on this.

4. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    China is making lots of those little digicam, no 35mm cameras allowed hehehe.

5. BrianL

BrianL Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Maybe a holdover from the cold war and when China was a closed country. Cameras = photographing = information = spying.

6. Neanderman

Neanderman Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    It might also be an intellectual property thing. As with the Soviets, the Chinese manufacturers don't seem to put a lot of stock in patents and will copy anything and everything.

7. mtjade2007

mtjade2007 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Better not try it. It is clearly stated at the USPS site that shipping cameras to China is prohibited. If you are a seller on ebay and receive payment through PayPal you could lose everything when the buyer says they do not receive it. All the rules will be against you.

8. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I believe that they want chinese to buy and use chinese products if someone insist on import stuff should have to pay a very high tax. I think they try to protect their jobs and the fobbiden items are those that they are making.

9. DaveO

DaveO Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    35mm cameras

It is probably because they are saving their 1 billion customers so they buy Chinese cameras. I know they made 2 1/4 cameras ( tlrs) and I assume they make 35mm also. The tlrs can actually be bought here in the US under the name of
    Great Wall, I think. There may be another also.

10. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    So it isn't possible to legally ship cameras to China? So any non Chinese cameras in the hands of any inhabitant is an offence? All the Japanese/ German/Swedish manufacturers are forbidden to export any cameras to China? The camera section on e-bay should say "No Chinese inhabitant may bid on cameras being auctioned outside of China due to Chinese law"

I'd look into this with USPS to get to the bottom of it. It doesn't stack up to me.

pentaxuser

11. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Strange. I've sold some LF lenses to ebay users in China with no problems. Maybe there are restrictions for new equipment that involves software. Somehow, I suspect that wealthy Chinese buyers are able to obtain any cameras they want.

12. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is probably a remnant from export restrictions imposed when China and the US were much more at odds (think Korean war). It may be that it isn't enforced, and there may indeed be a government directive to that effect.

It might also be that it is one of those things that requires a special export permit before it can be mailed.

Or a combination of the two.

13. GeorgeDexter

GeorgeDexter Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've experienced this also

The USPS website is correct. USPS will not knowingly ship cameras to China. If you lie on the customs docs, well that's your business. According to my local US Post Office, lenses, flashes and other camera equipment are not "cameras," and thus not prohibited.

UPS and FedEx do not list cameras as prohibited, but the shipping costs are very high. FedEx recently quoted me $900 to ship a 4lb. camera to Shanhai, and UPS quoted my $325 :blink:. USPS, if it hadn't been prohibited, would do it for $50-60via Express Mail International!

Incidentally, Hong Kong, and Taiwan, though nominally part of China have no such restrictions on cameras.

14. BobD

BobD Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It also says you can't send gramophone records which could do political, economical, cultural, or moral harm to the People’s Republic of China.

I suppose that would that include Chuck Berry ...

15. daveandiputra

daveandiputra Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    taiwan is an independent state (of course in PRC still view it's a province) that still insist that they are the real government of whole china.
    While hongkong, is part of PRC. But with the British dominion past, they got some kind of special autonomy on some cases.
    Sorry for nagging, I'm stuck in a bad bad bad traffic jam here in downtown Jakarta with nothing else to do :smile:

16. eSPhotos

eSPhotos Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know about USPS but I sold my Contax 139 to a buyer in China and I sent it via AustPost. I also wrote USED CAMERA on the declaration paper.
    No issues.

17. j-dogg

j-dogg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Seeing as the Chinese make 99.999999% of all the consumer-grade cameras on the market (as well as everything else, good job NAFTA) I find this appalling.

18. Graham_Martin

Graham_Martin Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    One time I did ship a lens to a buyer in Hong Kong, and it got through OK. I'm not sure if HK and China have the same rules, but they are the same country.

19. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    LOL! Not for this purpose they are not!!

20. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    So bamborelo, have you contacted USPS, what did it say and have you discovered how to ship the camera to your Chinese customer?

We await an answer with baited breath as must your customer in China only much more so! We at least are only curious bystanders

pentaxuser