Shipping Sheet Film for Processing?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by rcovingt, Dec 24, 2008.

1. rcovingt

rcovingt Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Up to now I have been processing most film at home but would like to send some sheet film out for processing---What is the process for doing this because at home I just take the holder in my darkroom and go about my business.

I know dumb question, but you don't know what you don't know

Robert

PS:Also mail order E-6 labs?? For sheet film? Recomendations please..

2. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Generally I save the bags and boxes from the sheet film, and I would put the sheets back inside the bag, inside the box, and tape all round and CLEARLY label..exposed film for processing, open only in darkness. Then I would put this in a shipping envelope. This is how I used to do it when I worked for an advertising agency. I would never send a film holder.

Can't help you with processing recommendations. I have processed my own for 30 years. all types.

3. Alexander Ghaffari

Alexander Ghaffari Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have been having fun with this as I am on my first box of E-6 4x5. Right now I am using the bag that color photographic paper comes in for labs, but that is not practical for mailing in the tiny 4x5 box sized pre-stamped envelopes that were given to me by a nice send out lab.

4. cdholden

cdholden Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Robert,
    If you follow Phototone's method above, Dale Labs (www.dalelabs.com) in Hollywood, FL will take care of developing/printing as you need. That packing method is what they expect to receive when customers send in their E6. I used to live close to them a few years ago, and that's how I delivered mine when walking in. Seal securely. Label clearly if film is different type or exposed differently than box speed. If you exposed differently than box speed, label with push/pull plus however many stops you need.
    Chris

5. Wayne

Wayne Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I've rarely bothered with the bag. I just put the film back into the box, and label it that they are loose in the box so they dont open it expecting a bag and inadvertently scatter them. I've never had a problem, except when I opened a box in the light once...even then only a few were completely ruined.

Wayne