Shooting Delta 3200 for the first time

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by totalmotard, Sep 22, 2010.

1. totalmotard

totalmotard Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Any tips about exposure? Does it like under or over? This is expensive stuff, so I'd like to get it close to right. Going to be shooting dinner with the moto club. Dark restaurant, etc. Using Nikon N80 and 50 1.8 af-d lens. TIA.

2. Tim Gray

Tim Gray Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It likes 'overexposure'. Just know that it's really about an ISO 1000 film, so 3200 is a push. As long as you keep that in mind, you should like the results.

I think these '3200' speed films look best at about 1600, but sometimes you need to go faster. 3200 is useable, but things get a bit dicey at 6400 if you ask me.

3. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just tried it... with exactly the same equipment and EI3200. Exposed normally and used D-76 per notes by Ilford, I ended up with thin negative with very low contrast. If I was to do this again, I'd over expose it by one stop...

4. MaximusM3

MaximusM3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    You'd be just fine shooting it @3200 and process in DDX with a little pull if you don't want deep blacks. I've shot some recently in the middle of the day with 6 stop ND and worked out beautifully, with very nice but not overbearing grain and great tonalities. @1600 it is superb and again, you can process in DDX or Rollei RLS to get very fine grain if that's the look you are after.

5. MaximusM3

MaximusM3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Yes, I think Ilford is a little off with those times, even with DDX. At their published times, my negatives were fairly low in contrast but considering the scenes, there was plenty to work with and I rather have that than impenetrable blacks, as that can be achieved in the darkroom or in post processing.

6. totalmotard

totalmotard Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Excellent, thank you. I'll shoot it +1.

7. Allen Friday

Allen Friday Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I regularly shoot this film. I rate it at 1600 and develop for the times recommended for film exposed at 3200.

8. Dave Martiny

Dave Martiny Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I do exactly what Allen does, and it's great stuff. If you're looking for a less expensive alternative, try Tri-x (Arista Premium 400) in Diafine.

Regards,

Dave

9. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's what I have been doing with Ilfotec DD-X, Xtol, and even HC-110 and have gotten really nice crisp results.

10. totalmotard

totalmotard Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Here's the result:

[​IMG]

I love the smooth mid-tones, but it grain isn't as small as Neopan 1600. Seems like the trade-off is detail for tone.

11. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I used some Delta 3200 for the first time a few weeks ago. I used it at EI 800 (close enough to 1000 but easier to do the exposure conversions when also using ISO 400 film in another camera).

The negatives were a bit thin but still printed o.k.

Based on this I think it would have been better at EI 400..... except that there is already a Delta 400 film!

Steve.

12. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    In terms of you comment on grain, I take it you are comparing D3200 shot at EI1600 with Neopan also shot at 1600? Have I got this correct? Thanks

pentaxuser

13. totalmotard

totalmotard Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes, I'm comparing Delta 3200 shot @1600 and Neopan shot @1600. Would love to have the tone of the Delta and the sharpness of the Neopan.

14. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks Steve. I have just shot my first N 1600 and will develop in the next few days. I have previously shot D3200 at EI1600 so I was particularly interested in the comparison of grain and tonal range.

pentaxuser

15. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    This is one of mine which was a thin negative but printed o.k.

[​IMG]

Steve.

16. JohnArs

JohnArs Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use it at 1600 all the time in XTOL and get great result!

Cheers Armin