Shooting Expired Konica Infrared 750nm Film

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by lancekingphoto, Feb 9, 2012.

1. This past week I obtained a box of used film from a coworker for a song. He told me it had all been kept in cold storage until about a year ago when his wife wanted to reclaim freezer space. Among various kinds of 120 and 35mm film, there are 18+ rolls of expired Konica Infrared 120 film. I haven't checked them all, but it appears they expired about 20 years ago.

My plan is to shoot a test roll using my Bronica SQ. I have a 25A red filter I'd like to use with it. (I know darker filters would be ideal, but that's what I have to work with.) I've found various suggestions for shooting and developing this film, but I thought I'd ask here in the hopes someone is familiar with this film.

So my basic questions are: (1) Any suggestions on how to expose this expired film? (2) Any suggestions on developing it using D76? I can't really afford to buy some exotic developer to try, so I'd like to use what I have.

Thanks!

2. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    digitaltruthphoto.com and take a look at the massive development chart under discontinued films, the times for d76 should be there. This film keeps really well for infrared. You'll likely have a little bit of base fog, I have sold a ton of this stuff recently that was that old and haven't had any complaints. 1/4 @16 with the 89b filter that I use or 1/60 @5.6 with a red 29 if i remember correctly.

3. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    With Konica IR you ca use 25A red filter with good success. I used Konica IR years ago, too bad they don't it anymore, I really like it. Last time I used it, I used 1/60 at 5.6 with the 25A Red on the camera. Of course being 20 years old, I don't know whats going to happen.

Jeff

4. OP
    lancekingphoto

lancekingphoto Guest

Thanks, guys. I think I'll try the f/5.6 @ 1/60th with my 25A filter as a starting point and see what I get, as well as consulting the massive dev chart. I figured somewhere around 6-7 minutes in D76 full stock would be about right. Can't wait to try it out!

5. Rich Ullsmith

Rich Ullsmith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have some too. I think I rated it at EI 3 to 6 with an 89b (opaque). Sounds like you have enough to maybe nail down an exposure and have some fun on the cheap.

If I think about it tonight, I will look up what little notes I kept and report.

6. OP
    lancekingphoto

lancekingphoto Guest

Thanks, Rich. If you uncover anything interesting I'd be happy to hear what you've got.

7. Rich Ullsmith

Rich Ullsmith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes, I shot one roll bracketed at EI 3/4/5/6. D-76 neat for 9 minutes (for no other reason than that's what I used for HIE). I have four rolls left.

Maybe not a bad starting point, but like was suggested compare to the massive chart. And no telling how it has aged. And the IR present.

8. OP
    lancekingphoto

lancekingphoto Guest

Thanks for the info, Rich. I went ahead and developed for 9 minutes in D-76, as you suggested. I found a tech sheet online from Konica and followed it on agitation: 1 minute continuous and then 8 minutes agitating every minute. From a development standpoint, the results seem good. I will say that the two rolls I shot came out exceptionally dark, so I think I'm going to shoot the next roll opened up 1 stop. (I used the recommended f/5.6 @ 1/60.)

The only major hurdle left to overcome is the horrendous curl in the film. I cut the first roll and sleeved it in a PrintFile sheet - it's basically unscannable on my flatbed as it won't stay remotely flat even in my film holder. That's now under a heavy stack of stuff. I left the other roll hanging as it dried, with a weighted clip. If it's still badly curled tonight, I may try reverse rolling it back onto the spool overnight.

9. rjbuzzclick

rjbuzzclick Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I found one roll of this at a flea market that expired in 1992. If I remember correctly, I treated it as ASA 32. I used a red filter as I don't have an IR filter, so I added another three stops or so for that which put me around ASA 4. I developed it in Rodinal 1+50 for about 5:00 at 68F. It came out a little grainy, but I'm happy with what I got. Here's the result:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/6257612282/