shooting headstones

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by Dan's45, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Dan's45

Dan's45 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    got a question to ask. anyone here ever shoot headstones. it's been foggy lately and am thinking of going up to either carbonado or wilkinson to shoot some headstones in infrared. is this possible? i just thought the effect of fog around headstones and infrared would really be cool!! any thoughts?? has any had this experience, if so let me know as i plan on going there tomorrow. i plan on shooting 1 shot with ilford black/white, 1 with velvia, and 2 with infrared(mostly because the other two are already loaded films listed). i hope to be able to get printed and scanned by the end of the week, and hopefully on the site for everyone check out. gotta go, will check back later for responses!
    Dan

2. magic823

magic823 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Since you are in the Puget Sound area, my favorite little cemetary to shoot at is the Saar Pioneer Cemetary at the 212th exit on SR167 in Kent. It has some really old tombstones and one with the name of "Baby Monster".

Steve

3. rbarker

rbarker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I love shooting headstones - at least until I run across my own. But, I've never tried IR. Thinking about it for the situation you describe, though, I'm a little dubious. I doubt there will be much IR light on a foggy day.

[​IMG]

Ilford FP4+ dev in DD-X, Leica M6, 50mm DR Summicron

4. glbeas

glbeas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've used IR on stones, you can get very different looking images because the stones can reflect IR in strange ways. Mostly its from the different minerals mixed in. I've shot some marble that showed much more contrast in the streaks and inclusions with IR than visible. Then the moss, it turns white and if the stone is very dark it makes a glaring contrast.

5. User Removed

User Removed Guest

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    The IR film used could cut right thru the fog layer, I think. It can be used for reducing smoke/haze.

6. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've used IR in dull lighting for tomb stones; see

example

I'm not sure it does much for the stones, but it helps isolated them from the background.

7. sanking

sanking Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Wow, that is a pretty dynamic image.

You sure isolated the stones from the background, no doubt about it.

Sandy

8. vet173

vet173 Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I was thinking IR wouldn't do anything on an overcast day. Now i am a believer. I second magic's suggestion. Acually it's the monster family plot. I haven't been there since they cleaned it up. I think it had more drama when it was neglected.