Shooting in Melbourne

Discussion in 'Australia' started by krolik22, Dec 7, 2013.

1. krolik22

krolik22 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi all,

I'm becoming more interested in photography but have mostly been looking at the work of others rather than taking my own photos. I'd like to get out and shoot more but am a bit apprehensive about the rules and regulations for using a tripod in the city. As I understand it, you need a permit to use one in the city. Anyone know if this absurd rule is actually enforced?

2. jjphoto

jjphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know if it is actually enforced but more importantly it can be dangerous to use a tripod anywhere there is foot traffic, they are difficult to see and easy to trip over. Employ common sense and only use a tripod where it's actually safe to do so.

3. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You absolutely definitely do not need a permit to use a tripod in the city.

4. Kevin Caulfield

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    By the way, welcome to APUG.

5. munz6869

munz6869 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I'm with Kevin on this, and have chatted to the Melbourne City Council Film & Television office in years past to clarify this. You absolutely do not need a permit to use a tripod in the city!!

Marc!

6. krolik22

krolik22 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks. Was hoping that might be the case.

7. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You only need a permit for commercial shoots. AU has some very strong decisions from the high court affirming your right to take photos in public.

Not blocking thoroughfares is just common sense.

8. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If your tripod trips up somebody, expect trouble.. I suggest you wear a hi-vis vest to make your presence known in a maelstrom of teeming, seething mass of humanity that is Melbourne city.

Also expect stickybeaks are annoying types that think nothing of asserting their right to use the footpath ahead of 'obstacles' like photographers — but you might also equally attract just the curious who want to know what you are photographing (next minute, they pull out their mini-digi and peer over your shoulder to photograph the same scene...). I don't really think you need to bring it up with Council (Melbourne City Council) unless you are a professional and will be causing some obvious disruption to public movement, in which case there are permits, fees, insurance and pedestrian traffic control to be considered). The place to avoid putting a tripod is early in the morning and evening peak on the corner of Flinders and Swanston Streets, again at Bourke/Swanston Streets — it's simply too chaotic. Have your wits about you, use common sense (don't splay the tripod with its legs way out where it causes obvious interference and obstruction) and keep yourself very visible.

9. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I wonder if Australia is as litigation addicted as the US.

10. Kevin Caulfield

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not in most aspects of life.

11. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

No, it's not.

12. SteveR

SteveR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ...yet...

13. Wyno

Wyno Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Don't forget to keep your camera bag under the tripod. It makes it harder for it to be stolen by the unscrupulous.

14. SteveR

SteveR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ...unless your bag weighs 25+Kg, then you'll just hear a grunt, groan and a 'snap' as the poor bugger slips a disc, eh Mike?! :wink:

15. Wyno

Wyno Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Then you toss the 10 kilo tripod on them to keep them there till the police arrive.

16. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would emphatically recommend keeping out of Melbourne CBD if you're a photographer at this time (Christmas-New Year holidays): it is profoundly chaotic and unbearable everywhere — not the Melbourne I know. No clear space, pushing, shoving, cheek-by-jowel crowds. Three hours was a long as I wished to spend in that seething maelstrom and then skidaddle out of there as fast as 'Twiggy's' wheels would turn.

17. munz6869

munz6869 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I bravely took in a tripod and some large-ish camera to New Year's eve a few years ago - as I recall, as Gary suggests, the experience was not... awesome.

Marc!

18. SteveR

SteveR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A few years ago I spent Christmas Day in Melbourne CBD, it was like a ghost town, I got some great photos of a bare Swanson St, an old guy feeding pigeons in Bourke St Mall will not another soul in sight... Best Christmas Day I had had in a long time. A far cry from the insanity of the days on either side of it!

19. Canon AV-1

Canon AV-1 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I do heaps of shooting in Melbourne. The law states that it's all good as long as you and your equipment is on public space and not an obstruction to traffic. Also, if your after shots inside Flinders St Station, go and speak to the station master and they will give you a 60 day photography pass. Apart from that, just use your common sense.