Shop in Boston

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Walter61, May 24, 2013.

1. Walter61

Walter61 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Do you know a shop in Boston where to buy films and photographic material used?

2. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    there are a few of them, some smaller than others
    one great one is just outside of boston in WALTHAM MA. its called E PHILIP LEVINE
    http://www.eplevine.com/

another is also outside of boston in MELROSE, MA
    its called HUNT PHOTO
    http://www.huntsphotoandvideo.com/

have fun on your trip !

john

3. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Also, Calumet has reopened its Boston Store (actually Cambridge, but it's all the same to a visitor) It's a short walk from the Lechmere stop on the Green Line, if you're on public transport. I'm partial to E.P. Levine, however, just like jnanian... nice folks.

4. Mark_S

Mark_S Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I would second the suggestion for Calumet -they have a decent selection of traditional photography materials.
    When I lived in the area I would go to Zeff in Belmont, but I think that they are no longer there or to Newtonville Camera in Newton who were also good.

5. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    LOL i can't believe i forgot calumet
    a apug sponsor ..
    i agree
    check them out too !!!

john

6. Oren Grad

Oren Grad Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    By "Boston" do you mean in the city proper and/or very convenient to downtown? Then Calumet in Cambridge is it, probably. They have one small case of film now and a smattering of used equipment. The Hunt branch in Harvard Sq has very little film left; I haven't been by the branch in Kenmore Sq in a while. The mother ship in Melrose is a long subway ride + walk away. EP Levine has some film and generally a large amount of used equipment but is a long way from downtown and very inconvenient to get to if you don't have a car. The pricing on their used gear is wildly uneven, and they'll sometimes let things sit for a very long time without adjusting to market. Some of it is on consignment. Newtonville Camera still has film and also some used equipment, which is overwhelmingly 35mm; they're also far from downtown and inconvenient to get to via public transport.

Likely not relevant to someone visiting from Italy, but with the possible exception of Hunt in Melrose, where I haven't been for a while, all of these are down to a pathetically small selection of darkroom consumables. Newtonville was the least bad last time I looked, but they were shrinking fast, so I wouldn't hazard a guess as to what you'd find there today.

< sigh >

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2013
  7. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format

i walked by ye olde ferranti dege shoppe in haaavaaad square on saturday
    and it's been gone for a long time ( since 2006 ) .. it was a film-fixture.
    so if your in cantabrigia don't bother looking for film or cameras or anything there ...

< sigh > x2

8. Oren Grad

Oren Grad Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Yeah, I used to walk by whenever I was in Harvard Sq just to see what goodies were in the window.

9. jimrohrer

jimrohrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I miss Ferranti Dege in Harvard Square... you could smell the fixer from their lab as you walked by the shop. The old Hunt Drug in Melrose was a good place too.

Bromfield Camera on Bromfield St. has some used film equipment, but they sell it mostly on eBay these days. I second the suggestions for Calumet, Cambridge or EP Levine out in Waltham.

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2013
  10. Walter61

Walter61 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well ... Thank you. I was thinking of buying film in Boston but maybe it's better if I take it in Italy, I would not run out of film during my trip to New England

11. Oren Grad

Oren Grad Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Specifically what types and formats of film would you be looking for? If you're using 35mm color neg and aren't picky about brand, it's not too hard to find a few rolls here and there. 35mm Tri-X and HP5 Plus are common at the camera stores that do continue to stock some film. Once you're looking for any less common emulsion, 120 or larger formats, or transparency film, the pickings get very slim, and you need to plan on going out of your way to find those few stores that still stock.

There is another option if you can plan a few days ahead - you could call Calumet and have them send to their Cambridge store whatever you will need, or call Hunt and have them send what you need to their Harvard Sq or Kenmore Sq location for pickup.

12. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Since it sounds like you might have some time, you might want to mail order from B&H or Adorama and have it shipped to your hotel in Boston (or wherever you're staying).

From what I've heard, you may also find it a lot cheaper than in Italy. Just make sure you don't bring any back in your checked luggage (due to xray).

13. Oren Grad

Oren Grad Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    B&H won't ship to hotels. I don't know about Adorama.

14. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I should have checked before suggesting. But I might still be right - even if accidentally.

B&H's site says they will ship to "any residential address" and to "your business address" for US customers. Further, for US customers, they "do not ship to hotels, motels, resorts, PMB, FedEx or UPS locations".

But for International customers, they say they will ship to "any US address". And so such restriction as to hotels etc.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/HelpCenter/Shipping.jsp

Obviously should check with them directly before planning on it.

15. Oren Grad

Oren Grad Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Agree - if Walter can plan ahead, one way or another it should be possible to get what he needs while he's here. You just can't count any more on being able to walk into a local store on the spur of the moment and find what you're looking for, is all.

16. Walter61

Walter61 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I saw the prices, are not much different than us.
    Will purchase the films in Germany (macodirect.de).
    My journey will end in New York and from B&H will take the films consumed during my trip in New England.
    Thanks for the tips

17. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sounds like you are pretty well set. Hope you have a good time. What parts of New England are you planning to visit?

As a side note, some of this discussion reminds me of a visit I made to EP Levines a couple of years ago, there was another customer there who had flown in from N. Europe (don't remember what country) specifically to buy some expensive Nikon lens. Apparently even with the plane ticket, hotel and transportation he was saving significant money.