Shopping at Ted's?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by tmh, Jun 4, 2011.

1. tmh

tmh Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    Hi there

I've kindly been given some gift vouchers for Ted's by someone who knew I liked photography. However I shoot large format panoramic film, and after browsing a couple of stores (Elizabeth St and Chadstone) I can't seem to find anything that suits me. I find Ted's stock all aimed at the digital shooter.

I thought perhaps some printer paper - they don't even sell that - let alone anything A3-A2. Lens cleaning cloths and other sundries maybe, but I have over $200 to spend. They only stock screw in filters (nothing square (Lee)), tripod selection is limited, don't need a bag or anything, their printing services I have found to be of really poor quality.

Is my only option to put the vouchers towards a DLSR or something with good resale value, and then sell it on ebay new in box?

Are any of the other stores in Vic larger than the one in the CBD?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Not looking the gift horse in the mouth!

2. Michael W

Michael W Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would ask them if they could order in some stuff that I wanted that I could pay for with the gift cards.

3. SMBooth

SMBooth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If your in the City branch go upstairs they have a few nice items up there.

4. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Reselling a DSLR will lose you a fair bit of value, especially considering Ted's prices. I would suggest getting a bag even though you say you may not need one. I would have thought they could order in Lee or Cokin filters, or at least a good tripod head.

Or use the vouchers as gifts to someone else.

5. JamesMorris

JamesMorris Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Stock up on some FB paper and chemistry.

6. Ross Chambers

Ross Chambers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You may need to spend some time explaining what that is unless you happen on some old geezer who hasn't been retired yet. If you do happen to do so watch the mist of reminiscence form in his or her eyes. Ted's Sydney stores do however have a good range of camera bags (one piece of gear that hasn't been made digital) which would be my choice for the price.

7. Mick Fagan

Mick Fagan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Give the Southland store a telephone and ask for Stefan, one he's old enough, two he's knowledgeable, and three, if it's available on a special order, he would order it.

The upstairs section of Ted's in Lizzie street was always the professional section, I used to haunt that out for secondhand stuff, I'm assuming that is closed these days?

I don't use Ted's, but we were trying to find a lens cap and thought we'd head into Ted's in Southland, which is local to us. Got talking to Stefan, he was able to find the obscure size I was after, the rest is history.

They do, and will get film in.

Mick.

8. wotalegend

wotalegend Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A couple of years ago my 3 kids (who are all single adults with good jobs) got together and gave me a $300 Teds voucher for my birthday. Having previously struggled with finding something worthwhile in Teds to spend a lower value voucher on (if you think Elizabeth St is bad, just try Knox City), I inwardly groaned, gave it a lot of thought, and six months later put it towards a decent tripod, but I had to travel to the city to find it. Thereafter I diplomatically suggested to my wife and the kids "please, please, please... no more Teds vouchers - their choice is low and their prices are high".

9. tmh

tmh Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    thanks for all the suggestions. I'll try the Elizabeth St. store again to see if the upstairs is still open or not...

If only the vouchers were for Vanbar!

Cheers

10. el wacho

el wacho Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    does anyone remember the Ted's on Pitt st? they used to have the most enviable (possibly second only to Riesel's) window display of second hand cameras in all formats...

11. Michael W

Michael W Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Are you thinking of Fletcher's? They had a large window full of second hand cameras. Also a back room with several fridges that stocked every film available in Australia. They went bust in 2005 & Ted's now have that shop. No second hand cameras & a modest selection of traditional materials up the back.

12. Ross Chambers

Ross Chambers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I do and I recall amongst other interesting items a Toyo 8x10 and a Rolleiflex in the window at a time when the digital bogeyman was just stretching his wings (it was Fletcher's BTW).

Foto Reisel is run by some chain these days, but they are always way over priced for me.

13. el wacho

el wacho Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    yes Fletcher's .. that's it! knew my description was a bit off. i remember buying tri-x 120 there for 6.50 aud. and a block further up was the other photo store in that little mall area past McDonalds. they would stock all the Agfa stuff.

14. el wacho

el wacho Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    yeah Reisel was overpriced on somethings but i bought a rollei sl66 kit - camera 80mm 50mm (both hft) two backs and the hardcase for 1500aud! (aud = 0.70's at that time) it was an ex victorian police kit who'd gone digital.

15. Michael W

Michael W Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That other photo store was Ted's. They were very good for Agfa stuff, I bought a lot of Precisa there for cross processing. When Fletchers closed they took over the big shop & are there still.

16. Ross Chambers

Ross Chambers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow. I must ask my local wallopers what they might have gathering dust in one of those disused cells.

The Historical Houses Trust have had a couple of exhibitions made up of prints from plates and LF negs which were found in some obscure NSW Police Service storeage.

17. Ian David

Ian David Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The police used to have a lot of good stuff. My Ilford 500 head, in terrific condition, came out of a London police station.

Ian

18. Molli

Molli Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    TMH,
    If you're still looking for ideas with those gift vouchers you might consider selling them to someone who's into what Ted has to sell. I basically did a sort of trade with my mum for a gift voucher my sister had sent me. I bought mum something she wanted from that store, she gave me some cash for it.... then I went to my local antique store and picked myself up a Yashica Electro 35 GSN :smile:
    If you've no one about with an interest, can vouchers be sold online? Perhaps to someone on DPUG?

19. wotalegend

wotalegend Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Molli, where have you been? You haven't posted for such a long time, and I thought you'd given us up. It's good to see you back.

20. Molli

Molli Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thank you! Believe me, I would NEVER give you up! :smile: Aside from taking a tumble out of the Faraway Tree, I've had the added embarrassment of running out of film, breaking my camera and running out of money for little things like rent, bills and an internet connection. Trust me, under the circumstances, my company was definitely NOT something you'd have wanted inflicted on you.
    Being the first 'perky' sort of day I've had in...um... a while, I decided to remedy a few things. I managed to fix my camera myself (free, oh joy!), get the net connected....... and land in the APUG forums where I promptly began the process of buying a new lens. (Yes, this is what the penniless should do the second their rent is paid!)
    I've bought the occasional roll of cheap Fuji colour film and devved it in B&W chems, but I can only scan those, no darkroom work. I've missed that (and I HAVE to give myself a reason to leave the house). So, in another month or so, B&W film will be bought/borrowed/begged/grovelled/pimp-out-my-sister for :smile:
    Oh, and another reason that I've spared you is that I'm blathering even worse than I did last year...
    but I have missed you guys tremendously and I do apologise for falling off the edge of the world. Will try to do better, promise!

(Please, please, don't let me hijack a thread again... keep the jacket with the octopus arms handy, okay?)

Now, more importantly, how have you all been?

21. OldBikerPete

OldBikerPete Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have been well. Thinking of you not infrequently.
    Broke your camera? FIXED IT YOURSELF????? Pretty darned good IIRC it is a pentax SLR.
    Peter.

PS. Sorry TMC, but I think you got all the help you're going to get from this thread.

22. Molli

Molli Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello Peter,
    I'm so happy to see you're still using Mike's lovely portrait shot in your avatar. You actually got a mention not that long ago when I was explaining to my cousin how lucky I was with your gift of the enlarger (and again just a day or two ago when mum and I were complaining of navigating the Nepean Highway stretch of the Mornington Peninsula over summer in less than an hour and a half!)
    The camera fix wasn't too big a deal. It took a gentle tumble two feet to a carpeted floor, but the door latch catch still managed to break. I'd have had it fixed months ago but I accidentally stripped one of screws. It took me seven months to work up the courage to ask a local jeweler if they could get the screw out for me..... five seconds after that and I had the old latch out and the new latch in.
    Happy to hear you're well :smile:

Molli

Now, about those Ted's gift vouchers. You were saying? :smile:

23. Molli

Molli Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello Peter,
    I'm so happy to see you're still using Mike's lovely portrait shot in your avatar. You actually got a mention not that long ago when I was explaining to my cousin how lucky I was with your gift of the enlarger (and again just a day or two ago when mum and I were complaining of navigating the Nepean Highway stretch of the Mornington Peninsula over summer in less than an hour and a half!)
    The camera fix wasn't too big a deal. It took a gentle tumble two feet to a carpeted floor, but the door latch catch still managed to break. I'd have had it fixed months ago but I accidentally stripped one of screws. It took me seven months to work up the courage to ask a local jeweler if they could get the screw out for me..... five seconds after that and I had the old latch out and the new latch in.
    Happy to hear you're well :smile:

Molli

Now, about those Ted's gift vouchers. You were saying? :smile:

24. Mick Fagan

Mick Fagan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Molli, I was only thinking about you the other day and wondering if you were still around.

Obviously you are, it's good to hear from you again.

We all have periods of passion about the things we enjoy, especially hobbies, followed by not so passionate times.

Mick.

25. Molli

Molli Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ah, more a lack of finance than a lack of interest :smile: How are you doing, Mick?