should i get as bronica sqa?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by wilfbiffherb, Sep 12, 2011.

1. wilfbiffherb

wilfbiffherb Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    hi all,

im looking to move up in my photography and have got my eye set on a medium format slr system. i definitely want to shoot 6x6 not 6x6.45 so im thinking maybe a bronica sqa/sqai/sqam as mamiya and hasselblad cost quite a lot more. does anyone have any suggestions as to other cameras and also where i may be able to pick one up for a decent price?

thanks

2. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That is a great camera, but you might check out the Mamiya RB67. It is a little big and heavy but has big negatives and takes great pictures.

Jeff

3. Jim Noel

Jim Noel Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    There is a reason, or several reasons, Hassys and Mamiyas cost more.

4. wilfbiffherb

wilfbiffherb Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    the mamiya rb67 is 6x7 isnt it? i could do that i guess, im ont bothered about weight

5. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You're probably better off trying to find an Bronica SQ-A/Ai/B kit(body+viewfinder+120 back) rather than put together separate parts. Things like WLFs and 120 backs for the SQ series have really jumped in price, so while bodies and lenses(e.g., the 80/2.8 and 150/3.5 or 4)are reasonably priced, you may actually spend less for a kit. I shopped for a long time before I recently found a NOS 120 back at a good price. I'd avoid the SQ-Am--blow the motor drive and the whole camera's dead. Overall, Bronica SQs, because they're really the only 6x6 SLR outside Hasselblad, have actually gone up in price since I bought into the system in early '09.

For the money, though, you might also look into the Mamiya RB67, preferably the later ProS or ProSD bodies. Hands down, the biggest negative for the $ on offer right now.

6. wilfbiffherb

wilfbiffherb Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    thanks for that advice. ive been looking at kits to be honest as opposed to buying seperately. ive had a look at a few mamiya rb67's in the past 20 minutes or so and they look good. im still more drawn to the bronica thought for some reason haha!! its looking like £250-£350 for a bronica sqa kit (80mm lens, back, body and prism/wlv) wherever im looking at the mo which is reasonable enough i guess.

7. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you like square and want an SLR type camera, then yes you should find a kit for sale and enjoy yourself.

8. wilfbiffherb

wilfbiffherb Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    thats the plan, if my guitar sells for enough this weekend on ebay!! currently torn between rb67 and sqa now though. i hate decisions!

9. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have both--a guilty pleasure--and tend to shoot the RB67 more despite it not being exactly petite. If you need/want close-up capability, the bellows focusing on the RB67 is killer. The rotating back(the "RB" part)is another of its unique features.

10. wilfbiffherb

wilfbiffherb Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    argh, the temptation!!

11. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey, go for it! I have a lot of fun with mine.

DaveT

12. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you are torn between 6x7 and 6x6, you could consider an RB67 plus a 6x6 TLR for those times when small size matters.

13. razocaine_07

razocaine_07 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i have a ful sqa kit for sale if your still after one

14. Peter Simpson

Peter Simpson Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have an SQ-A setup and I like it. I picked it up here for short money and fleshed it out with purchases from KEH. I wanted to casually get into 6x6 and the SQ-A is versatile enough yet not too expensive. Works well for me. And the J back will let you do 6x4.5 if you later decide you want to.

15. Alan Gales

Alan Gales Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If you like square then get the Bronica. If you plan on cropping all your photos to a rectangle then you would probably be better off with the RB. Just remember that 6x7 cameras are big and heavy.

If you decide on the RB then you might also want to look at the RZ. The 110mm lens for the RZ is killer!

16. revdocjim

revdocjim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I love my SQ-A and the only other 6x6 SLR I own is the much older Bronica C. It's great if you want to go old school, but the SQ series is all around a better camera.
    If you want to look into 6x7 there are more options. I had three 6x7 SLRs at one point, the Bronica GS1, the Pentax 67 and the Mamiya RB Pro SD. I ended up selling the RB because it didn't get enough use. I use the Pentax for landscape and the GS1 for handheld. The RB is a very capable camera in all regards but the design, size and weight make it most suited to studio work, which I don't do much.

Of course if you are willing to go with a rangefinder and can't decide which format you like best the Fuji GF670 is the bomb!! It's rather expensive but I absolutely love mine.
    If you want a small, portable 6x6 rangefinder with exchangeable lenses I would strongly recommend the Mamiya 6. It has lots and lots of strengths, and very few drawbacks. Once again, not cheap, but you definitely get what you pay for.

17. SpunkySpine

SpunkySpine Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If I were getting the Bronica SQa/ai/am I would definitely choose the SQAi. The 'i" in "Ai" stands for "improved" in that it is the latest model of the "SQ" line. It has mirror lockup for mirror up shake free time exposures. That would come in handy for any time you want to take a landscape photo with your lens stopped way down for that "forever" depth of field.

As far as the SQAm is concerned, if your camera battery were to go low, you won't be able to continue by manualy advancing your film because there is no hand crank to further advance film and cock the shutter.

All cameras have their pros and cons.

Talking about the Pentax line, lack of changing film backs is a con...
    You say you're not interested in changing filmbacks now, but there will come a time when you'll wish you could change from B&W to color in mid roll.
    Perhaps to take the same shot in both mediums.

So weigh pros and cons of each of your contenders. When you do that, the "pro's" have it.
    Enjoy

ps: I have just bought into Bronica ETRsi recently (still building my kit).

18. pasiasty

pasiasty Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I may be wrong, but:

- SQ-A has MLU (it's old SQ that hasn't)
    - when battery runs out you may still shoot SQ-A at 1/500s, but you can't fire SQ-Ai (not a real problem, batteries are cheap)

SQ-Ai body has a couple of improvements over SQ-A:

- 'Bulk' time;
    - TTL flash metering

SQ-Ai accessories, which you can use also with SQ-A body, were also improved:

- ISO dial on a film holder was moved to a better position, you can set correction with a prism view finder mounted; ISO setting was extended to 6400
    - new AE-i view finder is much more sophisticated, allow exposition compensation, spot metering, exposition hold - perhaps the best thing of SQ-Ai line, that's usually reflected in its price
    - detachable motorised winder (doesn't fit to SQ-A); in case of SQ-A you can only choose motorised body

Don't buy any Bronica without WLF, unless you have one - this simple thing sells more expensive than the body itself.