Should I sell or hold?

Discussion in 'Instant Cameras, Backs and Film' started by photomem, Mar 22, 2010.

1. photomem

photomem Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ok, so the big impossible announcement is today. Last week, I picked up a near mint Sx-70 for a song, and have tested it and found it to be working perfectly. I have looked at values, and right now it is worth 150-300 usd. This is based on eBay and other sites selling this thong. A friend of mine who deals in antiques says that if the impossible project is a go, then you cam expect a value between 500-600 usd within a couple weeks and possibly higher. Now, this could all be bs, but I'm not sure. So, do you guys think I should sell this camera? I have three Polaroid rangefinders I am quite happy shooting with, plus a couple of other Polaroid slr.

2. photomem

photomem Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sorry for the typos. I posted this from my phone.

3. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Do you need the money?

4. photomem

photomem Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well, I am about two months from my teaching job starting and while I am stocked on film, paper, and chems... not so much on food. So, yes the money would be nice.

5. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    One weights the monetary value of a tool against its sentimental, age and most importantly usage value.
    If you can part with it, have no need for it this moment nor see a chance in future that it might worth more and get actual use, then sell it if you are in need of the money.

6. Barry S

Barry S Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'd list it on eBay today. They made a *lot* of SX-70's and the afficionados and trendy folks with cash will be looking for an SX-70 this week after hearing about the announcement. These are going to be expensive novelty films with limited distribution, so I'd question how long the prices will stay this high. The feeding frenzy for Type 55 occurred at the end and directly after production ceased. You can actually find reasonably priced Type 55 now.

7. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ever hear the term "starving artist"?
    I know what its like to be strapped for cash, sell it(put a decent reserve on it) and use the news to hype to drive the sale price.

Rick

8. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    i am keeping mine, heaven only knows why, and then there is all the equipment setting on a shelve for transfers.

Am going to wait and see what happens and test out some of their product. I didn't see anything about sx70 film, altho the 600 can be used in that camera with some minor fixes with a wratten filter.

9. photomem

photomem Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sx-70 film in monochrome is on their price list and color is promised mid-year. Guess I need to make a decision and list this thing or not. The person I bought it from claims to have more, he said he would dig them up if I would buy the lot of them.

10. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Keep the camera :D

11. Andrew K

Andrew K Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd sell it - I've sold all mine (except the gold one I bought last year) - for the price they are getting I think I'd be crazy to keep them..

I get just as good results from the boxy ones I keep picking up for a couple of dollars in junk shops....

12. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  13. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Since you got it for a song, I'd wait just a bit and see where prices go.

14. photomem

photomem Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Chris.. why do you always seem to get involved when I pick up a camera and then decide the cash is more important to me?

:smile:

15. Brian Legge

Brian Legge Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I doubt the price will spike on them unless the film price comes down (or people start speculating). For them to become high demand due to the film, something would need to put them in the popular headlines and make them trendy. As cool as the Impossible Project is, I don't think that will happen.

Well, the Lomo community seems to have more money than they know what to do with - I suppose they could drive prices.

I'm confident enough that I'm waiting for a good deal on one instead of buying now. For $20 or so, I'd absolutely do one. Over $50, no way, particularly as I'm nervous about how long the Impossible Project business model will keep them going. I my caution is misplaced and that they'll be around for a decade. :smile: