Should I test a roll from a batch of expired FP4

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Carlb, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Carlb

Carlb Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've bought a batch of 10 rolls of FP4 that expired in August 2006 from a seller who said that even though they had expired, they had been stored in a coolroom. While I have no reason to doubt the seller, and I'm not concerned that the film is out of date, would it be worth shooting a roll just to test that they are still OK (especially before I take the film away on holiday with me in April)

2. Shawn Dougherty

Shawn Dougherty Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    If the seller was honest about how they were stored I have no doubt the film is fine. I just finished shooting a project this summer using Delta 100 expired in January of 2006. That being said, I would certainly test a roll before using it on holiday. All the best. Shawn

3. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They will be fine.

3 years is nothing

ian

4. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been shooting TMax100 that expired in 1998 (still have 5 rolls left) without a problem. I think 3 years won't cause any problems.

5. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Should be no problem, but if you were to shoot something really important and the film was bad and you didn't test...

6. David Grenet

David Grenet Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have some FP4 in sheets which expired in 2002 and it's fine. That said, surely your cameras will get some use before April? Or are you saving up your creative energy for the holiday? :tongue:

7. mwdake

mwdake Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A few months ago I found a unopened bulk roll of FP4 in a box in my garage.
    There was no expiration date that I could find, but it must of been in there since I moved here almost 20 years ago.
    I must of stuffed in a box during the move and forgot all about it.

Being in Florida it gets pretty hot in my garage.

I loaded a roll in a camera and to my suprise the negatives turned out fine, maybe not perfect but very usable.

8. Carlb

Carlb Member

Shooter:
    35mm

Fair comment :smile:. I have some rolls of BW400CN that I'll use up first. But if I really get my act together, I might even be in a situation where I have to buy some more FP4 before I go away.

Thanks for all the replies

9. BobNewYork

BobNewYork Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The film will be fine. However, test a roll because if you don't you'll be worrying about the film all through your holiday - and that's no holiday!:tongue:

10. George Papantoniou

George Papantoniou Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Just developed a couple of expired FP4 rolls myself, I got them from a strange person. The base density was a bit high, but no other problem is visible. Must have been badly stored.

11. SchwinnParamount

SchwinnParamount Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    "Strange Person"?... Unless he was one of those Evil Film Abusers, his strangeness shouldn't have affected the film should it? Still, I'd like to know a little bit more about him. Sounds like there's a story there