Shutter curtain damage Canon EOS 3

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by gomertose, Aug 21, 2009.

1. gomertose

gomertose Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just bought a second hand Canon EOS 3 without having the chance to inspect it first. The body itself is in excellent (near new) condition. On opening the film compartment I noticed that there is some damage to the shutter curtain. As this is my first film SLR I am not sure how bad the damage is and whether it will affect the operation of the camera.

I have asked the seller why they did not disclose the fact that the shutter curtain was damaged. They have responded saying that they were not aware of the damage and that it must have occurred during shipping. I highly doubt this as the camera was relatively well packed in it's original box with padding around it, inside another cardboard box which shows no damage at all.

Could someone enlighten me about how bad the damage is and how I would test it? I do not have any film on hand at present.

Attached Files:

2. Bill Mobbs

Bill Mobbs Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks bad to me. I'm not an expert, but I don't see how a shutter curtain inside a camera could be damaged without some damage to the outside.......... :rolleyes:

bill

3. glockman99

glockman99 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    To me, it looks like the curtain was stuck, the previous owner used an ink pen tip to try to free it and damaged it, and pawned it off on you. It was a lie that it was damaged in shipping (unless the back of the camera was off or open during shipping). You need to get your money back, (which I doubt will happen without a fight).

4. archphoto

archphoto Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    This shutter has to be replaced.

This damage due to shipping ? BULL !

Normaly the shutter is protected in the front by the mirror and in the back by the film pressure plate.
    The previous owner must have damaged it himself.

Peter

5. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would return it for a refund, if possible.

6. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One reason why I include a photograph of the camera with an open back when I list on eBay. Extra confidence for the buyer!

7. eng1er

eng1er Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not to nitpick (well, I guess to nitpick), but that's a blade shutter, not a curtain shutter. Anyhow, I concur that it is impossible that the damage could have occurred during shipping (unless, of course there is also extensive damage--gaping hole--to the camera body and shipping carton, indicating that an object penetrated it and stabbed that shutter).

8. Shangheye

Shangheye Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you bought it on ebay I would lodge a dispute asap and inform the seller the item is being returned..the shutter would need a complete replacement...not cheap. K

9. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, Bull. The seller is at least ignorant and most likely a liar.
    Return it and leave accurate feedback.

10. Ian C

Ian C Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    That damage was caused by someone’s finger. The seller was perfectly aware of the damage and was relieved to unload his or her problem onto you. The shutter must be replaced. Get an estimate from Essex Camera Repair, Carlstadt, NJ. You can find them via Google. I’m sure the repair is well over $100 not counting the shipping and insurance.

11. gomertose

gomertose Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for all the responses. I didn't realise that such little damage could be so serious.

Hopefully I will get my money back.

12. MaLo

MaLo Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    What a shame! I always feel so sad when I see such damage and yes a lie is most definitely involved. Once I bought a perfectly working Canon T70 according to the seller but low and behold the whole shutter assembly was missing. :D

13. glockman99

glockman99 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Look at the posted photo(s) again...The damage was caused by the tip from an ink pen, by the seller of the camera, who tried to un-stick a stuck shutter curtain.