shutter for meyer 360mm f3.6 trioplan

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by loman, Oct 4, 2007.

1. loman

loman Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hey Everybody
    I have the possibility to buy a gigantic hugo meyer 360mm f3.6 trioplan.
    Now my question is, does any shutter exist that this can be used with?
    I looked at packard shutters, but the maximum opening I've found are 8cm
    and the diameter of the rear of the lens is 11 cm!!!
    I use a toyo 810g, and the lens is already on a toyo board so that's great, but without a shutter, there's no reason to buy it, since I want to be able to use it's wide opening, and rarely find myself in lighting conditions where a 3.6 opening calls for 1/2 a second or more.
    Thanks
    Mads

2. JG Motamedi

JG Motamedi Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I think your best hope is a Packard, they can be special ordered up to 20cm (8"), however one that large won't come cheaply. http://packardshutter.com/

3. Murray@uptowngallery

Murray@uptowngallery Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
  4. loman

loman Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    If nothing else comes along I'll have to go with Jim Galli's solution.
    I'm not willing to spend 400 dollars plus import taxes (I live in Denmark) for a suitable packard.

5. freygr

freygr Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You could steal a focal plane shutter from a Speed Graphic and use it as a front curtain shutter.

6. loman

loman Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Freygr how could I do that??
    Best Regards
    Mads

7. RoBBo

RoBBo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jesus.
    What kind of coverage does that thing have?
    What a lens!

8. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mads, the 4x5 Graflex Inc focal plane shutter's gate is 4" x 5". Don't forget that there were 5x7 Speed Graphics and Graflex SLRs.

What seems to bother you is that you think you need something larger, at least 11 cm square.

But in fact you can get by quite well with a smaller shutter. A shutter mounted behind the lens' barrel won't reduce the aperture, i.e., illumination at the center of the film plane. All it will do is block the outer part of the cone of rays that the lens projects, i.e., vignette. Using a mutilated 4x5 Speed Graphic as a shutter should work fairly well, although to be fair to me I did the arithmetic without knowing where the lens' exit pupil is relative to the rear of its barrel. You could equally well hang the Speed Graphic off the front of the lens.

9. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    RoBBo, Mads, here's what the VM has to say "Portrait Trioplan f3.0-f3.8 These were made in 10.25in for 7x5in, 12in for 8.5x6.5in, 14in for
    8.5x6.5in, 16.5in for 10x8in and 19in for 10x8in. In the B.J.A. 1934 p567 these are listed as Portrait Trioplan,
    but they were a sharp lens and were actually also used as a fast lens on many press and reflex cameras as
    was then normal.
    These were big lenses to fit into a shutter, but were offered with a 'silent' before lens shutter for short
    exposures- probably one of the TBI shutters made to fit in front for studio work.Thus the f3 was used for
    several years in Meyer or Roth Super Speed Press and Reflex cameras (B.J.A. 1926, p348;1928, p659
    advert., 1929, p319). This was an London made camera with a Meyer Trioplan lens and was actually often
    sold with English lenses."

10. Murray@uptowngallery

Murray@uptowngallery Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Camera Eccentric has a catalog online with Meyer glass too.

11. loman

loman Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hey Guys
    Thanks for your answers.
    Dan I have a question. I'm no expert in this so there's a lot of things I don't understand. First, I want to use this lens with my toyo 8x10 camera. I would like to use movements, If I put a shutter behind the lens, that is smaller than the lenses opening/diamter of 11 cm, then wont I loose it's f3,6 opening?
    And even if I dont, wont I limit the movements I'm able to make, before the lens starts to vignette?
    Also I still don't get how I can mount a mutilated speed graphic shutter in front of the lens. Do you have a picture of such an operation? That would be much apreciated.
    Thanks again
    Mads

12. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mads, you will lose movements, not speed.

But given what this http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/meyerc/p22.html says, chances are that your lens won't cover 8x10. Full plate, yes, 8x10, no.

You'll have to make a fixture to attach a Speed Graphic with bellows removed in front of your lens. Basically what you want to do is make a plate with a hole that will accept the front of the lens' barrel and will attach to the back of the Speed. Ideally the plate should have some sort of baffling to stop light from leaking in. SKGrimes made a similar device to allow me to couple two Graphics, it has a pair of concentric tubes ...

13. loman

loman Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for the info Dan
    The 360mm covers 8x10 nicely. I already tried it on my toyo, no problems at all.
    Best Regards
    Mads

14. freygr

freygr Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Using the Speed Graphic as a Front curtain shutter you are only losing two very small 1/6 inch segments form the top and botton if the shutter is centered on the axis of the lens on settings T or B only. And as for using as a shutter the curtains opening will not cut off any part of the lens as the opening moves from roller to roller which is greater than 11cm.