Shutter Release cable mount

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by killahound22, May 15, 2013.

1. killahound22

killahound22 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    i recently purchased a large format rig from my local samys. a toyo gii with a rodenstock lens.
    the issue is that the thread where you would screw in your shutter release cable is stripped. so nothing holds it in.
    anybody know of any replacement ?
    its a rodenstock 210mm 5.6

2. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't have an answer for you, but I'll second the question. The release cable barely holds on my 203 Ektar lens, and tends to pop out of place at the most inopportune moments. I'm sure the solution can't be all that complicated.

3. Kevin Kehler

Kevin Kehler Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Are you able to rethread it with the appropriate tool (about $4 at a hardware store) or is it too far gone? The problem would likely be either the metal is too think and thus will shred when rethreaded or will need to be rethreaded at a larger diameter and thus not take a standard cable any more.

4. Reinhold

Reinhold Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's not so simple if the socket threads are stripped (assuming that you're using a release with the correct tip).
    It's almost certain that the cable release socket conforms to the ASA standard tapered thread form Z38.4.5-1950.
    Once in a while a cable release shows up on the market with old style straight threads.
    They don't fit standard taper thread sockets without problems.
    A competent lens repair service will be able to replace the socket using standard parts.
    Lotsa luck of finding a tap with this thread form at the local harware for $4.

Reinhold
    www.re-inventedPhotoEquip.com

Attached Files:

5. 250swb

250swb Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It may be worth trying other cables release's. I think with every camera I have, vintage or modern, I have a a favourite cable release to use with it, one that screws in more firmly than another.

Steve

6. killahound22

killahound22 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    i'm hoping i find a piece of crap lens to remove it from so i can replace it.
    it appears to be stripped.. and it's not the shutter release.
    i went into the camera store today and not a single one screwed on in place.

7. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If it's a Copal shutter the part is available as a spare, not cheap though - at least here in the UK. £35/$53.29 on ebay BIN. You may find a repair shop carries spares and a bit cheaper.

Ian

8. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The appropriate tool would rather be in the range of 200$.

9. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I restore Thornton Pickard shutters quite regularly and tap the brass release arm with a straight thread, that works well for all modern cable releases. (Some were sold that way).

If you look at some shutters the piece where the cable threads in isn't threaded at all just a round hole in thin metal with two cuts and one piece bent up the other down to accept the thread.

Ian

10. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Which size thread do you use for this?

Amongst the common metrical sizes the nearest fit would be M3 (3 x 0.5). Best fit concerning pitch but still seems a bit small concerning diameter.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2013
  11. pasiasty

pasiasty Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Sometimes it's a tip (as small as 1mm long) of broken cable release that stays screwed in. Use a magnifying glass and check carefully. If not, try to find bargain lens (whatever brand and focal length, with fungus, separation and scratches all-together) with same/similar shutter and replace the socket.

12. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In the OP's case if it was me I'd remove the stripped one from the shutter and re-tap it with a straight tap then use one of those Rowi.Kaiser type 90 degree adapters and glue it into place before screwing the part back on the shutter casing.

I use an M4 x 0.7 tap on the Thornton Pickard release arms and that seems the best overall fit, I can use a size up or down because of the taper.

My experience is that there's quite a variation in the threaded end of cable releases, I had some that would only fit a Prontor and no other camera/lens.

Ian

13. Ian C

Ian C Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2013
  14. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

I just checked it.

Though the Standard M4 thread has a too steep pitch, due to the still small height of thread contact and the larger diameter of this contact this 4 x 0,7 size gave the best overall fit. At least for a provisional solution a DIY thread cutting attempt should be done.

15. killahound22

killahound22 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  16. killahound22

killahound22 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    i appreciate the blast of knowledge fellaz, i went on and found a copal no.1 shutter and swapped the socket!
    now i can use my Rodenstock apo 210mm like it was intended!
    :munch: