Shutter size for Super-Angulon 90mm f8

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Luke Spadavecchia, May 21, 2009.

1. Luke Spadavecchia

Luke Spadavecchia Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi Guys and Girls,

I recently purchased a very nice clean Super-Angulon 90mm (f8 version) mounted in a defunct Compur electronic #1 shutter. The shutter is not working properly, and does not fire at any speed other than its top speed, even when supplied with a clean 4.5v from a lab supply. This does not particularly bother me, as I use a Sinar automatic behind the lens shutter system (which I love) and want to mount the lens in a suitable DB board. I need to remount the lens because unfortunately I can't just set the compur shutters preview lever and use the behind the lens shutter instead because the rear element of the lens projects behind the shutter plane by a few mm.

So my question is, is the #1 compur electronic thread equivalent to the copal #1 thread? It appears that the front thread of the compur electronic 1 is M40-0.75 and the rear thread is M36-0.75.

I've been offered a couple of #0 and #1 DB boards for sale and wonder what the mounting/calibration issues might be. I would rather save ££ by mounting the thing myself, but could always get it done professionally at a push. Also has anyone else used a super-angulon in a DB mount? Does the extra distance the DB mount gives you between the rear element and the film plane allow you to use this setup like a 'handy' i.e. do away with bellows all together and focus on infinity using the separation generated by the DB mount, standard, auto shutter and film holder?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, I thank you in advance for your comments and advice: This forum is an amazing resource.

Luke

2. archphoto

archphoto Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    From the data I have you need a Copal or Compur 0 shutter for the f:8/90mm SA.
    Mounting a lens that short on an inversed sunken lensboard will give you very little room between the standards, if any at all.
    My real advice is to get a flat Sinar lens board with a Copal/Compur 0 shutter and use the 90mm without the behind the lens Sinar Shutter.
    Mind you, mounting the 90mm into a new (used) shutter means that it should be shimmed aswell, so you get the maximum image quality from the 90mm.
    Actualy a job for a trained technician.

I use a f:5.6/75 SA on a sunken Technika lens board and Technika adapter board on my P2 and it works well with a bag-bellows.

Go to the Sinar site and download the Sinar Code, it is an invaluable source of information about the Sinar system.

Peter

3. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A 90mm f8 SA is most commonly in a Compur/Copal 0, even the 90mm f5.6 lens fit's in the same shutter, however some of the lenses originally fitted to Sinar DB mounts / shutters weren't standard so you need to double check. Schneider list the early coated (not MC) lenses as being 0+1 shutters.

Find someone locally who has a 0 and a 1 size shutter and see which it fits, if you don't mind a 40-50 minute drive I can help :D

Ian

4. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The 90mm f:8 Super Angulon was sold in several different shutters, mine is in a Compur #00. Then later they switched to #0, and some were sold in #01. The #01 has the same threads as a #0; the #00 is smaller and the #1 larger.

5. Luke Spadavecchia

Luke Spadavecchia Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks guys for all the responses so far. Just to reiterate that mine is currently mounted in a compur electronic #1, which as far as I can tell from published data is the same size as a copal #1, so I'm really confused! From the serial number, the lens was produced between November 1968 and July 1970 and is not the multi-coated version (at least, it doesn't have MC printed on it).

Ian, your offer is very kind, and I may well take you up on this if you don't mind, although I will be away now until the 3rd of June.

Is it possible that someone had a conversion ring made up to mount the lens in the electronic shutter, which was probably pretty fancy stuff when new? I can't tell because I don't really know what the threads of the lens should look like! Anyway, thanks again. L

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2009
  6. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm off home to Turkey before that :D

There will be someone nearer anyway who can help.

Ian

7. edwinb

edwinb Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a sinaron digiltal 4.5/55 db lens mount if its of any help and you can collect it.
    All the construction details of the Sinar lens/mountings I thnk are shown in the detailed part pdfs at www.image2output-support.com/sinar
    Edwin

8. Luke Spadavecchia

Luke Spadavecchia Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thank you so much Edwin, That is really kind. I have emailed you with my contact details. All the best, Luke.

9. Luke Spadavecchia

Luke Spadavecchia Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    OK, so my lens was a copal #1. Weird. Mounted it up in a DB board that I Frankensteined from a lovely new one and a golden oldie and all is great; thanks to Edwin for being a real champ on this! Thanks to everyone for contributing. L