Shutter sticks after being outside

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Cybertrash, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Cybertrash

Cybertrash Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was out shooting with my Speed Graphic and 127mm Ektar in a Supermatic shutter the other weekend. After this the shutter has started sticking every now and, either there's a little delay before the blades open, or they don't open at all, or open unevenly. I suspect this is because of cold (it was around -6 when we were outside), but the camera has been siting indoors for over a week now and the problem persists. What should I do?

2. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Time for a CLA - clean, lubricate adjust.

3. MDR

MDR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    New lubrication. A short time solution is to put the shutter on a radiator for about 15minutes, the dried lubricants will be liquid again and work. It's better to change the lubricants (suitable for cold weather) though as you will have the same problem again if you use it in the cold.

4. vysk

vysk Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    yep, cold froze up the lubricant and it warmed up but solid. Gentle heating might work but only for a short time.

5. jp498

jp498 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The old lubricant's thinner components have evaporated or moved where they are not needed, and the thick cold-sensitive ones remain. Time for a professional cleaning.

6. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No, don't do that. The OP says that "...they don't open at all, or open unevenly..." which indicates there is probably more wrong than thickened lubricant. Possibly the blades are not engaging properly with the actuating ring, or something was damaged by drag caused by the thickened lubricant.

Do it right, do it once, have a reliable shutter... try home made half-baked repairs and have potential junk. This shutter is nearer 50 than 40 years of age at a minimum, possibly it has never been serviced.

7. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The Supermatic came in 3 basic versions, the no flash sync called Supermatic, The flash bulb and electronic flash synced called Flash Supermatic, and the electronic flash synced called Supermatic X. The Flash Supermatic is the most difficult to service and the Supermatic the easiest. On a scale of 1 to 10 of increasing difficulty the Supermatics are a 6.
    Supermatic diagram.jpg

The service manual for the Supermatic with 127mm Ektar is (was) readily available on line from several manual retailers such as http://craigcamera.com/ item 90518 under reprinted service manuals.

The blades opening unevenly says that the operating pin holes in the blades or controller are worn and the related blades are sticking. Continuing to use in this condition will result in a non working parts shutter.

flash supermatic disassembled.jpg
    Service it or have it serviced soon.

8. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Happened to me two years ago, exact same setup and exact same issues.

+1 on the professional CLA. Get'r done.

9. Cybertrash

Cybertrash Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all the answers, I suppose I'll have it serviced, it's a shame, a CLA around these parts can cost about as much as a new shutter off of that famous auction site sometimes...

10. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Which likely will also need servicing.:wink:

11. Cybertrash

Cybertrash Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's a good point, never thought about it that way. Although I'm under the impression that some of the more serious resellers will actually stand by their claim that the shutter has been tested.

12. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It may have been tested and passed the test. Inside, at room temperature, once. Very often though that test is done by ear.

13. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    yep

14. Kawaiithulhu

Kawaiithulhu Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is so true! After a couple months of haunting hellbay I've only seen one shutter ever that had actual timing numbers and properly calculated error %percentages, even from those that claim a recent CLA; it's like all the rest copy+paste the "shutter sounds great at all speeds!" script for the descriptions :laugh:

15. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, anyone who claims a recent CLA should have the paperwork as proof or it's baloney.
    Personally I not only assume that anything I buy (I use mainly pre-1970 gear) will need anything from a thorough CLA to a complete overhaul. In fact I sometimes actively seek items that are not functioning, this way I'm able to get something I could not otherwise afford. I service all my equipment myself.