Shutter Timers

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by Polybun, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Polybun

Polybun Guest

Does anyone have plans for one to construct their own shutter speed timer?

2. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For building a shutter of for testing a shutter?

3. bobwysiwyg

bobwysiwyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. Greg_E

Greg_E Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There is some good information on the F295 site. there are several electronics kits that have timers that will operate a relay, so you would just need some form of electromechanical shutter, the solenoid is the hard/expensive part to buy.

I started to design a really nice all brass shutter that I was going to use with a timer and solenoid, but never went very far past paper and pencil.

5. Polybun

Polybun Guest

yes for testing a shutter. I should have been more specific.

6. B&Jdude

B&Jdude Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Ben:

You can check with Ed Romney's widow at www.edromney.com She sells his camera repair books at that site, one of which is a manual for building your own electronic shutter tester. Just go to that website, do about 3 page-downs to a paragraph "Need more information, more help?", and click the link to go to the book list.

EuGene Smith
    KA5NLY (QRP)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2008
  7. Poohblah

Poohblah Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can also test your shutter by photographing a CRT monitor of known refresh rate and doing a small amount of math, but I believe this will only work for a small range of shutter speeds.

8. Polybun

Polybun Guest

Well since you are measuring the width of the slit, It should work at just about any shutter speed. I guess actually measuring percentage of screen lighted. I've used this method to simply tell if a shutter is working properly.

9. Greg_E

Greg_E Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Check out the Camera-fix group on Yahoo, there is information that coupled with an oscilliscope will let you time a shutter.

10. craigclu

craigclu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here's an old document that I have that discusses this.... I don't recall any sources, etc.

Attached Files:

11. Polybun

Polybun Guest

I just purchased "Electronic Projects for Photographers" from Hollywood Camera here in Portland for $2. I should have my tester built by the end of day friday :D

12. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The oscilloscope works very well even with old analog units. If you have good sensor, an old analog scope can measure the time with 1/10 stop accuracy. What you need when using this approach is to find a sensor that has a smalle enough detection surface and has fast enough response.