Shutter Timers

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by Polybun, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Polybun

Polybun Guest

Does anyone have plans for one to construct their own shutter speed timer?

2. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For building a shutter of for testing a shutter?

3. bobwysiwyg

bobwysiwyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. Greg_E

Greg_E Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There is some good information on the F295 site. there are several electronics kits that have timers that will operate a relay, so you would just need some form of electromechanical shutter, the solenoid is the hard/expensive part to buy.

I started to design a really nice all brass shutter that I was going to use with a timer and solenoid, but never went very far past paper and pencil.

5. Polybun

Polybun Guest

yes for testing a shutter. I should have been more specific.

6. B&Jdude

B&Jdude Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Ben:

You can check with Ed Romney's widow at www.edromney.com She sells his camera repair books at that site, one of which is a manual for building your own electronic shutter tester. Just go to that website, do about 3 page-downs to a paragraph "Need more information, more help?", and click the link to go to the book list.

EuGene Smith
    KA5NLY (QRP)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2008
  7. Poohblah

Poohblah Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can also test your shutter by photographing a CRT monitor of known refresh rate and doing a small amount of math, but I believe this will only work for a small range of shutter speeds.

8. Polybun

Polybun Guest

Well since you are measuring the width of the slit, It should work at just about any shutter speed. I guess actually measuring percentage of screen lighted. I've used this method to simply tell if a shutter is working properly.

9. Greg_E

Greg_E Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Check out the Camera-fix group on Yahoo, there is information that coupled with an oscilliscope will let you time a shutter.

10. craigclu

craigclu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here's an old document that I have that discusses this.... I don't recall any sources, etc.

Attached Files:

11. Polybun

Polybun Guest

I just purchased "Electronic Projects for Photographers" from Hollywood Camera here in Portland for $2. I should have my tester built by the end of day friday :D

12. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The oscilloscope works very well even with old analog units. If you have good sensor, an old analog scope can measure the time with 1/10 stop accuracy. What you need when using this approach is to find a sensor that has a smalle enough detection surface and has fast enough response.