Side effect of stand development

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Alan Johnson, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Alan Johnson

Alan Johnson Subscriber

Here are some scans I made to illustrate the differing response of films to stand development with respect to edge effects.The photographs are of a gray card on a black card.The scans show the black/gray edge and are about 2.5 mm of negative in height.
    With Adox 25 (same as Efke 25) and Tri-X there is a light line on the gray side,the edge effect.With FP4+ no edge effect can be seen,the gray is more even. IIRC, PE wrote this may be due to more iodide in these newer emulsions.
    I believe the main use of stand development is to increase tonal range but it appears to have this side effect with some films.Scans are not a perfect representation of the edge effects on silver gelatin prints,on which I can see some slight edge effect on stand developed FP4,but they give the general idea.

Attached Files:

2. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Which developer(s)? What development times? What agitation pattern(s)?

Labels on the images might be helpful too.

Lee

3. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You are looking at the left edge of the wide line in the left attachment here. You cannot see if there is a 'peak' in the dark area due to density.

The chart on the right, either negative or positive, will give a much more definitive answer, but this is certainly a good example you have presented.

However, without a check with normal processing and/or another developer, we cannot 'prove' stand development did this.

PE

Attached Files:

4. Alan Johnson

Alan Johnson Subscriber

Developer was Rodinal 1+200 ,agitate 1min then stand 90min 68F.
    Left image Adox 25 ,center Tri-X ,right FP4.
    Sorry about the lack of info originally, these are the first Mackie lines to be transmitted by the electric telegraph.

5. Kirk Keyes

Kirk Keyes Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I would expect that Tri-X has more iodide then FP4+ since it has a higher speed. PE?

6. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I believe so, but I'm not sure due to the new sensitization.

PE

7. Alan Johnson

Alan Johnson Subscriber

PE, all I have to illustrate the difference between normal and stand development are two Plus-X photos in Rodinal.They are Photoshop processed the same. Stand development (Rodinal 1+200 90m 68F) ,right thumbnail, gives more edge effect with this film I believe.

Attached Files:

8. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Alan;

Thanks. That is very revealing to me. It does illustrate the effects of stand + rodinal and how it can differ from film to film. Thiis is a good illustration of why different people get different results, due to film, developer and technique.

Thanks.

PE

9. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks. I'd have guessed at the films correctly, but it's nice to have all the info.

Lee