Silver bromide on COT 320

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by sanking, May 23, 2009.

1. sanking

sanking Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Does anyone know if COT 320 is available pre-coated with a silver bromide emulsion? If so, where can one purchase this paper?

Sandy King

2. Ray Rogers

Ray Rogers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sandy, humm...

Are you thinking about Bergger 320?

From their description...

Bergger Prestige Fine Art Supreme - (Silver Supreme) is an extra-premium, semi-matte photographic paper with a high silver content emulsion coated on a sumptuous 100% cotton - rag paper base of 320g/m2. It a single grade emulsion (approximately grade 2) which is particularly high in silver content and gives extremely deep blacks and wide range of mid-tones. It has excellent toning capability and due to the quality of its paper base and surface softness, it allows un-matched possibilities of hand-coloring.

Now that sounds like Ice Cream and Chocolate Cake!

I don't know if this is silver bromide off hand, but well, could this be what you are looking for?

Ray

3. sanking

sanking Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Ray,

I believe that is what I am thinking about.

Actually, my interest is in the gelatin sizing that goes along with the emulsion since what I am thinking about doing is fixing out the silver and using the surface for carbon transfer. An expensive option but saves me the troublesome sizing that must be done of art papers to take carbon images.

Is Bergger Fine Art Supreme 320 still available?

Sandy

4. Ray Rogers

Ray Rogers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    All I know is that it is still on their web site
    http://www.bergger.com/us/fine.html

Are you tired of coating gelatin ? :smile:

I think it may be more expensive than other papers, but that is only a guess...

I understood they sold the uncoated paper... "Bergger COT 320" and that MAY be presized again- another guess.
    I think B&S or PF carries (carried) it.

5. cmacd123

cmacd123 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I wonder if some of the paper sold for those computer printer thingamajigs might be a good stating point.

6. sanking

sanking Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Some of the synthetic inkjet papers work for carbon printing. Most do not, but a few work ok. However, as far as I know none of the rag papers have the right kind of size for carbon transfer.

Sandy King