Silver Conference in 2007

Discussion in 'Workshops & Lectures' started by Robert Hall, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Anyone know if we are having a Silver Conference with Ilford and friends in 2007?

If so, details please.

2. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yep.
    Later part of March 2007 is the tentitive times, and the same place as last year. Maybe it will be warmer, or I will thermals this time.

3. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I suspect it will only be a partial silver conference - once again I'll bet they ignore color work.

4. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Robert, when a Black and White film company puts on a conference, it is a given that it will be about Black and White. This is a dead horse being beaten that Ilford should do color. There are other things in the works that will also include color.

5. Robert Brummitt

Robert Brummitt Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    My two cents

You can always do hand coloring! Or Ilford can see about working with Fuji.
    I hope they lower the price to a more reasonable level for students. The common thought during this years Conference was "Where are the young folks?" Well, $250-300 is a big bite for many. I believe the confernce should either offer students day rates or vastly lower admissions.
    I know thats how I'm aiming the Fanfaire on. I have spoke with or emailed many of the local schools that either offer photography courses or art classes in general, informed them that admission is $15 a day and free on Sunday. Almost all of the faculty have said at those prices they'll drive their students to this event. This is what I wanted.
    Just a thought.

6. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Calumet is not a Black and White company.... and there is no reason that Fuji can't be asked to contribute as well.

7. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They shouldn't call it a Silver Conference then? Maybe a Black and white conference. Assuming Silver = B&W just POs a few of us who still shoot colour film that, it seems, B&W photographers don't seem to care about - on the surface. Us colour photographers will just 'take it' then.

Thanks, Art. (Doesn't this B&W company manufacture Ilfochrome paper and chemistry?)

8. Lopaka

Lopaka Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not anymore. The old Ilford unit (Ilford Imaging Switzerland) that makes Ilfochrome products was purchased by a Japanese paper company as a part of the reorganization. Now those of us that use the products can think about buying the Ilfochrome stuff from a company that also makes toilet paper. :D

Bob

9. clay

clay Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Aw heck, guys. Just bring your portfolio of penguin closeups and no one will be the wiser.

10. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Art,

It is an unfortunate fact of life here at APUG that those of us that are Color only or color mainly photographers are in the vast minority and as such we do not get as much notice.

As to the question of Ilford, that too has changed dramatically. Ilford has been broken up into 2 companies now (since sometime in 2005)- Ilford Photo, HARMAN technology Ltd- the B&W in England and ILFORD Imaging Switzerland GmbH- the color group including Cibachrome, etc owned by Oji Paper Co. Ltd.

However, I do agree with Robert, that one or more color company could be brought in if they wish to call this silver. Otherwise, I agree with you Art that this should be called B&W.

Rich

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2006
  11. Helen B

Helen B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I look on it this way: we colour film users aren't yet sufficiently marginalized to need a conference.

Best,
    Helen

12. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    After the big meeting I had yesterday, you color people will not be forgotten. It may be two years out, but it will be happening. Remember it took me 2 years to get the damn magazine out. Which btw will have color in it as well.

3 years ago at the View Camera conf. in Monterey, the Kodak rep said that color sales were increasing but B&W was dwindling. He projected that B&W would have a resurgance in about 5 years. What has happened is color has now gone backwards, and B&W has increased, this in 3 years. Ilford in this economic climate, and today's usage can't afford the R&D to get into color. It is not a cheap propsition. They are working hard at making their chosen niche viable. To harp at them for not having color is like yelling at a rooster about not laying eggs. It just is not going to happen no matter how much you harp at them.

13. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    Can I ask a simple question?

WHEN and WHERE is this conference being held?

14. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As far as I know and it is not definate at this time, it will be the last of March, first of April in Pasadena California, at the Arts college there. Same place as the last one. I know we have an add for it coming out in Emulsion, but I haven't seen the add yet. I can check with our layout guy to see what he has. I got my info from Richard Newman who is the force from Calumet behind this conference.

15. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
  16. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    :D

Art.

17. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    THE SCOOP

March 30, 31, April 1st,

Same Location.

This conference will be much more interactive with a few surprises.

Panel will focus on getting your work published and in galleries.

New: Silver "One on One" What do you need and wish from the manufacturers?

(Manufacturers will be on hand for your personal input and discussion....it is rumored that some of them actually manufacture some good quality color film)

Cost $225.00 for registration until Feb 1. $250.00 after Feb 1.

100 certified students @ @ $75.00

Instructors registering 10 students will be allowed in free!

Larger busses this year and many "upgrades" from last year.

The surprises? Read the next issue of EMULSION, check the Silver Conference ad....

Thanks Richard Newman for the update.

Dave in Vegas:smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2006
  18. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    No color, I'll pass.

19. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Same hotel but better rates for conference attendees, and there is more to come Mordecai!

20. Dinesh

Dinesh Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Dave. I doubt that I will be able to attend, however, I do appreciate you taking the time to find out all the details.

21. Robert Brummitt

Robert Brummitt Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Cost $225.00 for registration until Feb 1. $250.00 after Feb 1.

100 certified students @ @ $75.00

Instructors registering 10 students will be allowed in free!

Larger busses this year and many "upgrades" from last year.

The surprises? Read the next issue of EMULSION, check the Silver Conference ad....

Thanks Richard Newman for the update.

Dave in Vegas:smile:[/QUOTE]

This sounds far more promising then very. I may have to start saving my money for another road trip. Maybe this time I can bring more fellow pacific Northwesterners.