Silver Gelatine Print? The same as Fiber base print?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by ToddB, Feb 4, 2014.

1. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    OK guys,

I emailed the gallery that handles the prints from famed street photographer Vivian Maier..? So for a 12x12 printed on 16x20 sized paper runs between 3,000 - 7,000 dollars for SILVER GELATINE print. So.. is a Silver gelatine print something different than what most of us here print on?

ToddB

2. frank

frank Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fancy-pants name for the same thing!

3. baachitraka

baachitraka Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    3k-7k is bookoo money...

4. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I was shell shocked too.. so.. is it the same a fiber base paper?

ToddB

6. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OMG! are you kidding?

7. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    OMG! are you kidding?

Huh?

Todd

8. mfohl

mfohl Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I saw some Vivian Maier prints in Cleveland today. They are worth it. But if you go to Cleveland, the prints are currently going for only $2200. Those prints are magnificent.

By the way, resin coated prints are also silver gelatin prints. But there is a difference between fiber and RC prints.

9. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Gosh.. do I feel silly. Siver gelatin is photgraphic emulsion.. of course. They made it sound special.

Todd

10. Colin DeWolfe

Colin DeWolfe Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well, I am guilty of that when I hang in the gallery. It's useful to separate it from the digital photos, or the digital prints from scans, even if they are black and white. If I just said film, people think I scan and print digitally. And "hand made traditional darkroom print" just takes up too much space. And galleries like pretentious words.

11. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, it is special!

When compared to many other things.

Like offset printed reproductions (think posters) and low quality inkjets.

12. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just saying silver gelatin does not state whether it is on FB or RC paper.

13. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I usually make photographic prints with an emulsion of gelatin and carbon (and sugar), or by coating watercolor paper with a mixture of iron, platinum and palladium salts in solution rather than in an emulsion.

The word 'photograph' is no longer very specific and it certainly no longer indicates specifically a silver gelatin print. Communication is the key.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. DREW WILEY

DREW WILEY Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I dry down silver gelatin test strips in a little toaster over in an adjacent room. If I leave it in there too long, it turns into carbon gelatin.

16. ROL

ROL Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You shouldn't feel silly. Galleries are often silly places. I should know. I used to own one, and frequently found that very silly.

SGP = GSP (gelatin silver print), SGP being a way of sticking your anglophile nose skyward.

RC and fiber are both GSPs. But in normal (non Gallerese?) conversation, GSP = fiber, without further distinction, because that is the "professional" choice. As I believe (someone here will surely correct me) RC wasn't in wide use until the 60s or 70s and considered "unprofessional", you can be pretty certain that any vintage GSP is fiber based.

GSP is about the only way I've come up with to differentiate my work from the ever encroaching terminology of inkjet machine "pigment" printing (not going to "hand made", not yet). There is still rectitude in the identification of process and result by using the label GSP appropriately. I just spent a number of days talking (i.e., educating) with hundreds of people who had no familiarity with classical processes and as often as I used the term GSP, no one ever asked if my prints were fiber.

It sounds as if the gallerist was doing (or saying) the right thing, if perhaps for the wrong reasons.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2014
  17. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The prices of all collectables is cyclic in nature. This artist has been hot since her discovery. I would wait to buy any of her photos. Notice I said photo and not print. It is my understanding that she made very few prints.

18. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    LOL! I always cringe when establishment photographers state with a raised nose that "I produce bespoke silver gelatin prints for clients" and the clients smile thinly, wondering what he is talking about. "Gelatin!?". Frankly, it's just a quaint, old-world term for a black and white print produced in the darkroom. The quality of the work and reputation of the photographer (or artist, artist-photographer, whatever) will usually decide the work's value. RC, FB or whatever else that is out there, it can be referred to as "silver gelatin prints". I have never used the term at all to describe my early B&W work.

19. brian steinberger

brian steinberger Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I wonder who is printing her work. It's amazing stuff.

20. mfohl

mfohl Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ditto Steinberger. A-mazing.

21. momus

momus Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The art world is full of this sort of talk. I remember looking at some very nice, small sculptures in a gallery once, and the sales person mentioned that they were resin and in editions of 7, which according to French rules made each of the 7 an original! How she said this w/ a straight face I don't know. So in truth they weren't "sculptures" at all, they were resin (plastic) that was poured into a mold, each was hand painted, and they were put out in editions of 7. That is a LONG way from an original sculpture.

22. miha

miha Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Silver gelatine is a common description by galleries here, not silly or fancy at all. The term fiber based is not in use in most of the European languages, we say baryte/barite paper instead.

After all, aren't all B&W RC/PE papers fiber based?

23. frank

frank Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There has to be some way, IMO, to differentiate a traditional wet darkroom print made with an enlarger, from digitally printed output. (Inkjet, whatever)

Buyers should be aware of the medium which carries the image.

Often though, digital photographers would like to say, "It's all photography," but there are significant differences in tools, processes, and materials.

24. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, that "fiber based" term used by us or at least our English speaking fellows is a silly term.

And that "silver gelatin print" may even include Impossible b&w films.

I remember discussions about what that gallery term "C-print" could mean. Or think of "vintage"

We should not take all those terms too serious.

25. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    (Having just put up a show) I usually identify mine as "gelatin silver print" -- gelatin first as with food ingredients, since I suspect there's way more gelatin than silver! And yes, I do it to differentiate the stuff from ink jet work. Not that I'm inalterably opposed to ink jets, I just like people to know what they're looking at.

26. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Since marketing is everything, we should use the fanciest terms we can come up with. If inkjet printers can call them "giclee" prints, I can call my stuff "three emulsion layer silver selenide".