Silverprint online

Discussion in 'UK All Regions' started by Dave Miller, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    FWIW.
    I have just noticed that Silverprint is now accepting on-line orders, which from my point of veiw is very good news indeed given their extensive stock range.

2. NikoSperi

NikoSperi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    About bloody time I'd say... I'm all for the analogue stuff, but the retail side execution can be digital very nicely! Now I never need to leave home again... Fotomatica in Verona, Prophot in Paris, Silverprint in London, Megapearls in Japan... all on my doorstep. Now the only one left one needs to call is Robert White! And we all know you're credit card is in deep s#@t if you're on the phone with them ; )

3. zinzin

zinzin Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    no good news for my wallet..... :smile:

4. Amund

Amund Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very good. But what`s up with their price on 50 sheets Tri-X 8x10! Close to $280!!!!
    B&H wants $142.95 for the same film......

5. Lachlan Young

Lachlan Young Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Apparently Kodak UK won't import the stuff so Silverprint has to do it themselves.

Lachlan

6. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Then you know where you should buy it from.
    It could just be that there isn't much of a market for it here in England, and therefore not worth importing in bulk.

7. Jean Noire

Jean Noire Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes good idea, but note that they do not deliver larger quantities of developer e.g. 5li of Ilford multigrade or 5 li of fixer.

8. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That's right, their carrier isn't happy with the larger quantity. On the other hand their carriage rates are very competitive, so it's not all bad. I've just ordered some Kodak Selenium toner which is competitively priced when their carriage charge is included.

Check out www.novadarkroom.com for the Ilford 5Lt sizes.

9. catem

catem Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    www.firstcall-photographic.co.uk deliver the 5Lt sizes aswell.

It's a bit annoying Silverprint won't deliver these - they're so much closer to me than the W. Country (but Firstcall are v. good at next-day delivery)....but I'm too lazy to carry heavy bottles & anyway always end up buying too much other stuff aswell, and parking's impossible/ congestion charge/ traffic wardens moan moan :surprised:
    Cate

10. David H. Bebbington

David H. Bebbington Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The last time I bought 5-liter bottles in the UK was from Jessops - no problem with carrier, just with their very flimsy boxes. I got the chemicals OK but the box was chewed to bits!

11. pyrometol

pyrometol Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    For those with reasonable access to the west Country Focal Point will get 5litre containers of pretty well anything. Look up their website: www.focalpointphotographic.co.uk

12. jstraw

jstraw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What a lousy website. Take too long looking at the front page and it bounces you to an inside page?

13. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Which one, or is that all of them?:confused:

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It shows you the News section after 10 seconds or so from the front page but the site menu remains on the left hand side so you do not lose any functionality. Besides, Silverprint's news is often quite interesting, including their attempts on using 50 year old Gevaluxe paper, how to convert the wooden box in which Rollei film comes into a pinhole camera and latest product info on Agfa etc, so I don't see a problem.

Cheers, Bob.

16. jstraw

jstraw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Eh, sorry...I'm crabby. I design sites for clients and I'd never do that unless a client asked for it and I failed to talk them out of it. From a usability standpoint I'm not a fan of that. I can click on "News" when and if I want to. If "News" is something everyone should be shown at a particular site, just put it up front. If I'm reading a page and it goes away without my input...that's an avoidable annoyance one can choose not to expose a potential customer to.

Sorry for the pedantry.

17. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can see how it can catch you off-guard the 1st time it does it, but I generally know what I am looking for when I go to the site and click the menu item I want long before it does the switch.

My pet hate is sites with a Welcome page that you have to click on to get to the actual site - what is the point of that?! If it's in Flash, then 95% of the time, I'm straight out of there before it even finishes loading... Different hates for different folks :wink:

Cheers, Bob.

18. jstraw

jstraw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm guilty of that on one site, I confess. Though that marquee page could be used for pre-loading common images to your cache to speed subsequent page rendering, I'm not actually doing that... At sites like that, I usually just bookmark the next page. I can see how those marquees could be tiresome.

19. Tony Lovell

Tony Lovell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've just been looking at the UK sites for HP5+ in 10x8, Robert White appears to be the cheapest at £53.65 inc VAT and you can spend your money on all those other nice things they sell!
    I was supprised how many outlets actually sell sheet film, I usually buy roll film form 7dayshop tax free but they don't sell anything over 5x4, which is not supprising.

20. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Only a vague notion as I haven't been logging prices on the Silverprint site over the many months I have known of its existence but it seems to me to be slightly cheaper than before now its online. Reality or illusion?

pentaxuser

21. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I don't think Silverprint have (wisely) ever tried to compete just on price, but rather on stock and availability as well, mainly for the London professional market. That is not to say that they are expensive, just that they didn't learn their craft in Tesco.:wink:

22. Brian Jeffery

Brian Jeffery Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I for one prefer to pay a little bit extra for film, compared to 7dayshop, in order to both support Silverprint and to get it with the boxes intact. As I’m using Ilford film, I have to buy in multiples of 10 to get anywhere near the 7dayshop price. By the way they are pretty much the cheapest for 8x10 inch MG IV. Unless I’m missing something 

Brian

23. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If you mean Silverprint is cheaper than 7dayshop, then yes they are, by £3 a 100. :surprised:
    So Martin is showing me up for a liar; can I help that?:confused:

24. digiconvert

digiconvert Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    JUst received my first order through the online ordering, delayed by a day but it worked really well. Seems that the clunky interface hides a decent service .

My experience has been positive

25. marktweedie

marktweedie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had some concerns about the security of the online ordering system as although the form is submitted on a secure connection (https) it is then emailed to Silverprint. I spoke to them on the phone and they informed me that several people had queried this but and that, yes, the form is emailed but only between internal servers in the same hosting environment and so nothing is sent insecurely on the internet. It's a shame the website functionality is so poor. I think a proper e-commerce site would be great. It is a real trial placing an order in the current system.

Great service though!

26. markbb

markbb Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Mark,
    you can always phone through your order.