Simple enlarger recommendations for 35mm only.

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by baachitraka, Oct 5, 2011.

1. baachitraka

baachitraka Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Initially I was thinking to scan and print but that seems not so funny. So, I am looking to get myself one enlarger for 35mm only.

I shoot only black and white and planning to print not more than 8x10. In further I have no willing to move to any other formats other than 35mm.

Any suggestions regarding enlargers?

2. hpulley

hpulley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is likely that any used enlarger you find will do 35mm, will have a 50mm enlarging lens and most lenses are capable of sharp 8x10 output if stopped down to f/8 or f/11. Probably doesn't matter much which brand you choose.

3. chioque

chioque Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As Harry says, any enlarger you can find will print 35mm. The main thing about the enlarger is the lens itself. Get the best you can within your budget.

4. baachitraka

baachitraka Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    To be honest, I do not even know the name of the manufacturers.

5. Jerevan

Jerevan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    If I have to recommend one, I prefer the Durst 305 colour. A Meopta Opemus is also nice, as is a Kaiser or a Dunco. When it comes to lenses, I like the Nikon 50/2.8 which is a well made and bright lens, which makes focussing on the baseboard easy. The Nikon 50/4 is a good one, too.

6. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd suggest getting an enlarger that will handle 120 as well as 35mm, there will be minimal cost differances but greater flexibility. I've picked up 3 in the past 2-3 years for nothing people kust throw them out. I donated 2 Meoptas to an Irish workshop group..

The Meopta's are well built, as are Jobo and Durst.

Ian

7. steven_e007

steven_e007 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd recommend Meopta enlargers, too. Built like tanks. The Opemus is a medium format enlarger (you just change the masks for 35mm).

The 35 mm version is called the 'Axomat'.

But as the other guys say - look around and you might find one very cheap or even free, so the brand is less important.

Save you cash for a really good lens and spend some time cleaning the condensers and / or filters (whichever it has) and setting it up properly (everything flat and parallel).

Personally I prefer condenser heads to diffuser. Traditionally condensers are more for black and white, diffusers tend to be for colour enlargers, but some people like to use them for black and white, too - but it is personal preferences (and there isn't all that much difference, really, until you get to the 'pro' stuff with more complex light sources). D

8. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Oh I see that you are in Germany. I have a Beseler 7 with the dichroic head in excellent condition. I am thinking about giving it away but I can't ship to Germany.

9. Роберт

Роберт Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can advise you: Dunco, Kienzle, Kaiser (all in German production, actual) or Leitz V35. But for the last one the HLX Philips bulbs are discontinued. You need an adapter from Kienzle, (they are making Leitz spare parts too), for using a standard Osram HLX type. The V35 is 35mm only, Dunco 35mm - 6x7cm, Kienzle have different formats, also 35mm only, and Kaiser 35mm till 6x9cm. the V35 and Kienzle can have auto focus too.

I think with above mentioned brands you can not go wrong. All parts are also available, when necessary even new production.

best regards,

Роберт

10. nworth

nworth Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some years ago I picked up a used Beseler dichro 35S just to do 35mm. It is sometimes a bit bright, but an ND filter takes care of that well. Otherwise, it is an exceptionally solid piece of equipment. The base is too small for anything bigger than 11X14, but I never do anything bigger than that from 35mm anyway. I find it is useful to devote an enlarger just to this format. The big enlarger requires a mixing chamber change to get good illumination with the small negative.

11. grahamp

grahamp Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you are going for a Durst, either stick with 35mm models (F30, 305), or make sure you get the full set of condensers and carriers. Some parts can be hard to locate later. There is something to be said for having 120 capability.

12. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As I understand things, Jerevan's recommendations are excellent for someone who is looking in Europe. Many of the other brands referenced here at APUG (Beseler, Omega, LPL?) are also excellent, but the availability of parts and accessories may be more limited in Europe.

With one exception, the only advantages of 35mm only enlargers are that:

1) when new, they were the least expensive; and
    2) they are the most compact.

The exception? Leitz enlargers - but if you find one of those, it will most likely be more expensive.

I'd recommend looking for an enlarger that will take at least 6x6 negatives as well. Medium format enlargers are more modular, and tend to be better built. If you can find one that works with 6x7 or even 6x9, even better.

In my market, used medium format enlargers are easy to find for free or nearly free, but that may be particular to here.

13. Craig Swensson

Craig Swensson Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Another plug for Meopta Opemus, should be easy to find from where you are based, spares also, not that you should need any, simple and robust. Opemus 6 perhaps.
    regards

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Henry Alive

Henry Alive Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I propose a Meopta Opemus 6, condenser type, with a Nikon f/2.8 lens. It could cost between 100 and 200 euros, and you can print papers as big as 12x16 (30x40). Additionally, you will be also ready to print 6x6 in the future.
    Henry.

16. vpwphoto

vpwphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Aw... if all they are going to do is 35mm don't clutter up their mind. Leitz focomat! If you have some coins.
    A small 35mm will fit in a broom closet! I HATE loading a negative in my 35mm board for the 4x5 it's a big as a pancake!

17. pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Durst f60 will do both 35mm and 6x6. It's a really little thing, too. Dismantles quickly for storage.

18. DanielStone

DanielStone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Get a durst M605 COLOR(dichroic head). In europe they're pretty plentiful it seems(they sure are here in the states), and with the color head, it makes dialing in variable contrast grades as easy as 1,2,3 :smile:!

Get a 50mm 2.8 EL-Nikkor lens, and go to town

Dan

EDIT: one more thing: At least here in the USA, if you buy a used enlarger, I'd highly recommend replacing the lamp(bulb) before using it. That way you have a fresh, brand new bulb. Buy a spare or two, just in case. They're not too expensive IIRC. Better than being in the middle of a printing session and your bulb blows out or starts to flicker...

19. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm sure you don't need to hear this again, but the Meopta Opemus 6 would be a great choice and probably very easy to find in Germany.

20. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Leitz V-35 Focomats have occasionally sold for a few hundred dollars. Do not hesitate if you find yourself with the chance to pick one up for not much money.

21. Jeff Searust

Jeff Searust Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    Beseler printmaker

A Beseler printmaker enlarger is a compact, well built, enlarger for 35mm. Should be able to find one on fleaBay or in someone's trash for a decent price.

22. chioque

chioque Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you're still looking for a 35mm only enlarger, there's one now on eBay Germany here Kaiser VC 35 Enlarger. It even has BIN or make the seller an offer. From the listing, it seems the seller is in Munich, not sure how far that is from you in Bremen.

Mansur

23. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    any enlarger will work for 35mm but
    like the others have suggested, look for something
    for the next size up ... while you think 35mm is all you will
    be using, who knows, you might pick up a used 120 camera
    and a multi-format enlarger will save you the trouble of
    having to look for another one, and selling this one ...

look on ebay, or eve ... local newspaper / photo labs
    and schools, you might get one for just the gas of the drive

good luck !
    john

24. Ronald Moravec

Ronald Moravec Member

35 mm only machines tend to be wobbly and filmsy with few exceptions. Leica machines being one.

Buy a medium format with a setup for 35 mm printing, condensers or diffusion housing , neg carrier, and 50 mm lens. You will be happier.

25. Richard Jepsen

Richard Jepsen Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    The best enlarger for 35mm is Leitz. The Valoy II is the simpliest of the (3) small format Leitz enlargers. If 95% of your enlargements are on 8x10 and the enlarger needs to be moved, the Valoy II is the one to have. Eugene Smith used on on location.

The beauty of the Valoy is you get the same head configuration as the 1c in a smaller footprint.

26. Ronald Moravec

Ronald Moravec Member

Valoys require the short neck bulbs which are near impossible to find, have no anti newton disk, and no good way to place VC filter inside. If you try to go over 8x10, the photo hits the column foot.

The long neck bulbs cause uneven light and there is no up/down bulb adjustment like a IC has to counter it.

My Valloy 2 is heavily modified to overcome all the stated defects. For Sale in USA.