Simulation of Dagor Lens with Zernike on to image, compared to ray tracing ?

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by Mustafa Umut Sarac, Dec 25, 2013.

1. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Pseudo Zernike Polynomials are the most basic formulas I have ever seen in optics book. You find the radius of one surface and with multiplying couple of times , you find each lens surface aberration list and powers, up to tens of different easiest to hardest aberrations.

I want to know,

Is it possible to simulate a lens without so much harder ray tracing , glass dispersion characteristics with continuing to process the image with aberrations for every surface in the row at the lens ?

It seems basic and but What I am missing ?

Umut

2. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I found extented nijboer zernike diffraction theory and it fits to my needs. There is a lots of resources on that at google. One thing amazed me that online book writes about use of ray tracing is fits to old lenses , say latest 50s. After need use of wave theory , zernike solves the problems. Author talks about the possibility to find PSF with that method. I dont know how finding PSF contributes if you find the all phase of the system with zernike method. I know OTF and MTF derives from that method.

What else PSF,OTF,MTF contributes to if I have the phase. What they say about unsaid , if there is any ?

Anyone ?

Umut