Sinar Norma question

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by ColinRH, Jun 17, 2011.

1. ColinRH

ColinRH Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I can't believe I'm asking this as it seems utterly ridiculous if it doesn't .... BUT ... do the Norma backs slip out of the rear standard in order that you can go from landscape (which it appears always to be when I see an illustration of one) to go into portrait format
    OR do you have to physically undo the rail clamp and tip the whole thing over? Seems daft to me if thats the case but from illustrations I've seen the camera does not appear to be 'square' enough to entertain a simple turning of the film holder.

2. felipemorgan

felipemorgan Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes, the back unclips and can be rotated between landscape and portrait orientation. Despite how it might look in illustrations in photographs, this is how this camera works.

3. ColinRH

ColinRH Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Philip, Thank you; I should have specified it is a 5x7 that I am referring to. They always look very rectangular, landscape style.

4. felipemorgan

felipemorgan Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Oh, I see. Well, I've never used a 5x7 Norma myself, so I'd best allow someone who has give a more definitive response.

5. Discoman

Discoman Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I think it rotates...
    I looked through the glennview site as they have some pictures of norma stuff and it looks like they show a 5x7 back mounted on the support rails in the vertical position. it is on a format change back, so I dunno if there is a difference.
    here, i'll link the page: http://www.glennview.com/sinar.htm

6. ColinRH

ColinRH Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks all, I have now purchased a 5x4/5x7 Norma and am looking forward to having a good time with her. C.