single size 20x24 easel?

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by raizans, Apr 13, 2010.

1. raizans

raizans Member

were any ever made? i would only be enlarging 4x5 to this print size, so adjustable blades are unnecessary. the largest single size easel i've seen is 16x20.

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Make one either from mount card which is how I made mine for some exhibition prints back in the mid 90's (it's still OK) or a wood base and mild steel. Any steel fabricator can cut thin sheet quickly & cheaply. In either cas just spray matt black.

Ian

3. CBG

CBG Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Speed-Ez-Els are/were made up to 20x24.

4. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You could also use a Formica or laminate surface on particle board with a temporary spray on glue or flat metal strips to hold the paper down.
    Because the particle board is a manufactured product it's as flat as an easel.
    You could mark the laminate with a marker or glue an edge on it for repeatable alignment.

5. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I blu tac matt board corners to my enalrger bench when I print 20x24 (I don't do it often) to help me align the paper, and dispense with the easel altogether. A red filter under the lens is helpful to line everything up. So far all of my paper this size flops out nice and flat when I want to expose it. If only smaller sizes were better behaved. I still stop down to f/11 or 16 to gain a bit of depth of field in case there are any small waves in the paper.

6. Maris

Maris Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is a Saunders Omega 20x24 four bladed easel in my darkroom right now. It works superbly at all sizes. The total cost was nil because the previous owner went digital. Surely these unpopular (heavy, eats bench space) but excellent easels deserve to fall into the hands of someone to turn out magnificent 20x24's!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2010
  7. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have the Saunders 16x20 single-size and I agree that it is especially nice when doing 4x5 and 8x10 negative enlargements, as they fit perfect. I was also looking for a 20x24 (or bigger) version but have never seen one though there are a few hints on the internet (and above post also) that Ganz may have made a 20x24 Speedeasel at some time. But I have not seen one actually for sale.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2010