Size Difference between GG and film

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by gbenaim, Mar 14, 2008.

1. gbenaim

gbenaim Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Following on thishttp://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=34237&page=3 thread I just measured my 8x10 back and my holders and found a 4/16 inch difference along the long side, where the film's held down in the holder's guides. That's a significant difference between wys and wyg, so now I have to figure out a good way to crop my back. Any ideas? It's a magnesium C-1, fwiw.

GB

2. argus

argus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I built the groundglass holder of my 8x10 to exactly (well...) fit the exposed area of the film :smile:

G

3. KenM

KenM Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    If you want to determine what part of the GG image makes it to film, try this:

- Tape a single news paper page to a wall.
    - Setup your tripod and camera, and compose an image that encompasses the newspaper - no blank areas!
    - Expose a sheet of film.
    - Don't move the camera, tripod, or newspaper - leave everything alone.
    - Develop the film
    - Using the film as a guide, look through the GG and find the corners that made it onto the film.

You can then mark your GG.

I did this for a 6x9 rollfilm holder on my 4x5 camera, and it works really well. Using the exposed negative, I made a wooden template that quickly allows me to mark out the corners of a 6x9 image when my felt markings wear off.