Sizing scanned prints

Discussion in 'Presentation & Marketing' started by lightwisps, Jun 11, 2013.

1. lightwisps

lightwisps Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have switched from Mac to Windows 7. Is there a way to use windows 7 to size scanned photos from wet darkroom prints that have been scanned to a certain size? I want to restart my greeting card business and need 4x6 inkjet prints to do this. Really don't want to buy Photoshop Elements 11, am hoping there is a tool in Windows 7 that can do this for me. Thanks, Don

2. spijker

spijker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Irfanview is a free program that can do this either interactive or as a batch job. Works like a charm.

3. lightwisps

lightwisps Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks Spijker, will give that a try. If you are ever in Almonte, stop by. Don

4. Truzi

Truzi Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can try the GIMP, Free Open Source Software (FOSS):
    http://www.gimp.org/
    It's quite powerful.

I'm not sure if it handles 16-bit graphics yet.

5. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  6. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Gimp if you want to edit (e.g. clone out dust spots), faststone if you want a neat GUI that basically just batch-resizes.

Use Image Magick if you want to write scripts that do moderately complex manipulations to images, e.g. scale, sharpen, add watermark and then add a border.

7. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You don't need to buy Adobe software. Adobe lists superseded software on its website that can be downloaded free of charge and even updated.
    Among them is Photoshop, Lightroom, Elements... the usual inflated and over-featured industry-standard packages. Personally Elements does the job well enough for me, as does Irfanview. 4x6 prints don't require a very big scan size; enlarge them to 300% on-screen to despeckle/dust.

8. Truzi

Truzi Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think you can script operations in GIMP, and if memory serves, I once scripted simple operations in an old (pre-CS) version of Photoshop. The latter was on a Mac, so it I might have done the scripting through the OS instead.