Skye photo festival

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by Schlapp, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Schlapp

Schlapp Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  2. coigach

coigach Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks very interesting, thanks for posting. Will try and visit Skye when it's on.

A bit of a bugger about the competition entry dates though - too late for me to enter now...!:rolleyes:

Cheers,
    Gavin

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2007
  3. Schlapp

Schlapp Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    .. and the site only came on line on the 5th September!
    Some nice gatherings by the look of it.

4. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It seems that someone is putting a lot of effort into it, so I hope it is successful. If you manage to get there I would like to read an account of it.

5. coigach

coigach Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  6. Struan Gray

Struan Gray Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Can anyone tell me where I can see more of Caroline Dear's work? (Other than at the Skye festival I mean)

7. coigach

coigach Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here's her website:

http://www.carolinedear.co.uk/

If memory serves, she also had an article in one of the 'Scottish Photographers' mags, a quick visit to their site would confirm.

Cheers,
    Gavin

8. Struan Gray

Struan Gray Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why didn't I think of that?

Thanks Gavin. It's nice to see work that goes a little beyond what things look like. So much "Scottish Photography" seems to be intended only to confirm tourists in their preconceptions.

Do you (or anyone else) know how big the prints are? Jewel like observations, or larger sit-in-front-of-and-get-lost abstractions?

9. coigach

coigach Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think I saw an exhibition a couple of years ago in Edinburgh (someone please correct me if I'm hallucinating! :rolleyes: ), and I think they were small prints rather than bigger prints...

And yes, I think you have a valid point about most photographs of Scotland. Designed to reinforce rather than challenge methinks. Hoots mon. Misty castles. Donald where's yer troosers, shortbread. That sort of thing...!

Cheers,
    Gavin

10. Struan Gray

Struan Gray Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Gavin, thanks again. And Schlapp, sorry if I sidetracked the thread. I hope the festival is a success.

11. coigach

coigach Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Struan,

Here's the Scottish Photographers website, meant to add it to the Caroline Dear query...

http://www.scottish-photographers.com/

And Schlapp, sorry if I too have caused the thread to lurch off topic...! :rolleyes:

Cheers,
    Gavin

12. coigach

coigach Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Didn't manage to make it up during festival, due to a whole load of reasons (although am going on a 5 day photo trip to North West Highlands in 2 weeks time, but festival over by then :sad:).

Any feedback on how festival went?

Cheers,
    Gavin

13. Schlapp

Schlapp Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I went to two events - a gathering at Duntholm Castle with Photogs, a piper and a Gaillic singer - and a gathering in Staffin with John MacPherson - author of Unknown Hebrides. Both good fun - and accessible without a car since the ferrry from the Isle of Lewis where we live is expensive with a car!
    Also saw an exhibition in Uig of George Wilson Washington prints of the area which was excellent.
    They has a photo comp too with £500 first prize in each of 3 sections - and a silver gelatin print one one section - which was cool since I was the only person there with film in my camara [not my picture that won I must add].The plan, I'm told is to make the thing much bigger and better but they need a bit of help.
    The weather was wonderful and as was the welcome. Shall go again.

14. coigach

coigach Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for update on how things went. It sounds like a great festival. Will try to go next year now that I know the rough dates. I might even try and enter a picture or two to the competition...! :tongue:

Cheers,
    Gavin