SL66 Photos

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Mike Kovacs, May 10, 2006.

1. Mike Kovacs

Mike Kovacs Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just thought I'd share a few photos from my "new" SL66 with this group. B&W Efke 25, colour Velvia 50. I only have the 80/2.8 Planar at the moment - selling a few toys to finance the 50/4 and 150/4.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mike Kovacs

Mike Kovacs Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    and I almost forgot, me with the beast - Rolleiflex Automat II w/ CZJ Tessar, TMax 100

[​IMG]

3. Earl Dunbar

Earl Dunbar Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mike: Aaargh! I had 2 bodies and several backs, plus the same lens lineup. Sold them on consignment through Stan C. Reade in London around '88. Thought I'd never regret it, but you've made me regret it ... especially those trillium shots. Thanks for the memories ... and now I miss Ontario as well. Aaaargh!

4. Mike Kovacs

Mike Kovacs Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What a coincidence! I live in London and my favoured store in town is Stan C Reade. In fact, the shots here were taken in a conservation area within city limits, and the colour films processed at Stan's.

Its definitely not your camera though, unless it came by way of Arkansas via Hadley Chamberlain's store.

5. antielectrons

antielectrons Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Excellent images Mike, especially the macro. Please post more!

Was that taken with the Planar 80/2.8 reverse mounted? How are you finding the focussing screen? My SL66 is having a service and am considering a Maxwell screen...

Antonio

6. Mike Kovacs

Mike Kovacs Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    #1 is reverse mounted, as is the White Trillium closeup I attach below. Depth of field is practically nothing at 50mm bellows extension, 80 reversed, -2.5 stops of light lost to bellows extension. It makes for a very dim image, hard to see in the waist level finder if you don't cover your head to block out extraneous light.

Also, #1 is not as sharp as I would like. I used f/22, which was a bad decision in hindsight. With 2.5 stops of bellows extension, effective aperture is almost f/64 and diffraction is softening the image. In the future, I won't allow my effective aperture to go any farther than f/45, preferably f/32. Keep that in mind.

Of course, you must also remember to stop down the lens when reversed as its no longer automated.

I am not crazy about the stock screen, mostly because I am not fond of focusing aids like the microprism. I too am considering a Maxwell for my SL66 - I have one in my 2.8E TLR and its amazing.

[​IMG]

7. antielectrons

antielectrons Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Mike, lovely image!

Thanks for the info about how it was taken. I must admit I have been put off reverse mounting as it seems really hard to focus with the dim standard screen. I think I will get a plain Maxwell screen with no focus aids. Also, the focus mechanism does not actually focus the image when the lens is reverse mounted. You have to physical move the camera to gain focus. A bit of a pain. Mine is an early SL66 (number 2800 or so) and it does not include the bellows extension adjustment factors.... I have been wondering where I can get these.

Antonio

8. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome Mike from the U.K, when I look at the image quality that a M/F roll film camera produces, on Velvia, I know why I'm not interested in digital photography, in fact I could quite happily get rid of my 35mm equipment, as long as I could keep M/F cameras.

9. Mike Kovacs

Mike Kovacs Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a PDF of the SL66 user manual for the later model that does show the bellows correction factors (120mm on later scale instead of 250mm).

Mine is the earlier type too: I lightly wrote them in on the scale with a mechanical pencil for reference.

Otherwise, everything is in Mannheim's excellent book "The Rolleiflex SL66/SLX Way".

As for moving the camera to focus, well that's how you do macro, SL66 or not!

10. antielectrons

antielectrons Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the info about macro shooting, I didn't know that. Totally new to it.
    That makes the images even more impressive!

11. JHannon

JHannon Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice images Mike! I have one too. I started with the basic 80mm Distagon and no prism finder. The prices were very high on the lenses but have come down and I was able to add a 150mm Sonnar and the prism finder.

I had trouble foccusing with the waist level finder because of my bad eyesite. I find it much easier with the prism and the Beattie Intenscreen. However, the micro prism in the Beattie screen drives me crazy, I would have ordered just the plain bright screen.

It's a great camera, have fun with it.

--John

12. Ed_Davor

Ed_Davor Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    IS it just me or do MF images somehow feel sharper even at web size (though it makes no sense because you shouldn't be able to tell the difference at such a small size), or is the author just skilled with USM?

13. Amund

Amund Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sharper than what? 35mm? What do you mean Ed?

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Ed_Davor

Ed_Davor Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    yes, compared to 35mm, forgot to mention

16. Amund

Amund Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The difference *is* obvious, even as a jpg. on the net, so I guess you have to look into MF now Ed :smile:

17. User Removed

User Removed Guest

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Just like a scan from an 8x10 negative would be sharper than a scan from medium format! What a concept! :wink:

18. Ed_Davor

Ed_Davor Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    But web images are of such small resolution than even 35mm film would record such detail with 100% response. So I don't get it.

In order for one to see an advantage between certain formats, you have to enlarge to a point where the difference becomes visible. And a web-sized image is certainly not that level of enlargement.

19. Mike Kovacs

Mike Kovacs Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, I find even on the net I can see the difference between 35mm and MF (and 4x5) at 640 pixels. Its a bit of a rigged comparison here though - the squares show a lot more than 2:3 ratio 35mm.

No question with a small print. Even a 5x5" 120 Fuji Frontier proof smacks the life out of a 4x6" 35mm proof.

For the sake of comparison - here's a white trillium from last year shot on pro Nikon 35mm gear with a micro nikkor lens, Provia 100F, Nikon film scanner. (vs an Epson 3200 flatbed for the SL66 shots)

[​IMG]

I still see a lot more detail in the SL66 shot - especially richer separation of fine detail in the petals. Both were slowish shutter speeds with the camera set on a heavy tripod and head, mirror lock always used.

If you check out "Sikario's" Rollei 6002 shots, you'll see the same thing. Looks way better than 35mm or dSLR to my eye. http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27481 The detail in the fur of the cat in shot #3 - SUPER.

20. Ed_Davor

Ed_Davor Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Now I see what is it. I think the difference is more in some kind of tonal smoothness than it is in actuall sharpness. Because sharpness at such small sizes can always be enhanced with USM, but you can't really fake smoothness of the tones.
    There seems to be more fine gradations in the MF version, while the edge sharpness seems to be about the same.
    The MF version feels somehow "delicate", more sophisticated.

I can't wait to get my first MF slides back

21. JeffD

JeffD Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format

Don't hesitate to get the Maxwell screen. He built one on my SL66 shortly after I bought it, and it is nice and bright, even indoors. He is a friend of the family, and I got mine in trade for repairing his computer. Nice guy and nice screens!

22. Mike Kovacs

Mike Kovacs Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That is a hell of a deal - I'm looking at $150 outlay to get a Maxwell for my SL66.

23. Rolleijoe

Rolleijoe Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hey there Mike, please post more from the Efke 25. This is a beautiful film, although I'm using more of the 100 speed at the moment. The Zeiss lenses really bring the detail through.

24. Earl Dunbar

Earl Dunbar Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mike: I was certain your SL66 wasn't either of "my" bodies; that was a long time ago! I lived in Stratford at the time of the sale, at which time I also sold off my M3 and lenses.

Harry owned Stan C. Reade at the time, and I seem to remember he bought some of the Rollei gear himself.

I too preferred Stan C. Reade, Harry & Barry always gave me good deals, as I was a struggling young poor guy. Gunther (?) over at Linden was a little less warm, but I did shop there some, too.

I learned photography from David Hallam, first through an adult ed beginner's class he taught, then I stayed with him for private tutoring for awhile.

Cheers,

Earl

25. antielectrons

antielectrons Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I wanted to ask about Hadley Chamberlain's store. I have emailed him many times about items on his website but he never replies. Does anyone know anything about him. Is he still trading? His website lists a lot of SL66 gear that I would be interesed in buying...

26. Mike Kovacs

Mike Kovacs Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have the exact same experience. I'm interested in his bay VI to 67mm adapter and the blank lensboards. I should just pick up the phone and call.