Slavich graded papers

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by John Wiegerink, Mar 4, 2012.

1. John Wiegerink

John Wiegerink Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'd like some info on Slavich graded papers from anyone who has used them. The reason being that my grandson has now taken an interest in photography and I want to teach him from the ground up. I figure graded papers would be a better place to start. We will be using a 4x5 view camera with either some of the cheap Chinese/Shanghi film I have or some FP4+/Acros in my stash. My developer will be either Ilford DD-X or more likely WD2D+ pyro. The enlarger is going to be an old Omega D2V-condenser and the paper developer is LPD. I'd like to know just how the Slavich papers respond to pyro negs and a condenser light source. John

2. Scott Edwards

Scott Edwards Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use Slavich Grade 3 in Dektol. If your film is synched with the paper, you'll get some beautiful results especially when toning. This paper begs to be toned. This is the best paper overall that I've used so far, and its pretty cheap. Exhibition grade results with excellent tonality, contrast and color. Very snappy whites, deep deep blacks and weighty midtones.

One of my enlargers is a condenser style and I develop my film in Pyrocat HD exclusively.

3. John Wiegerink

John Wiegerink Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Scott,
    That's the kind of info I was looking for and I think I'll order some, but did you find #3 to be a true grade #3. I read elsewhere that Slavich is about 1/2 step up in grade contrast compared to Ilford papers. It really doesn't matter since I'll figure that out myself(ourselves), but I was just curious. Also, I read that Freestyle won't be getting anymore in. I hope that ain't true? Seems like I'm always getting in on things as they are going out. John.

4. ROL

ROL Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
  6. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Slavich is fabulous stuff, well worth the time to track some down. I am relieved to have a stash of double weight matte. I'd recommend picking up some gr 2 and 3 if possible. You may find that bleaching back from grade 2 works well.

7. John Wiegerink

John Wiegerink Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    ROL

ROL,
    For Christ's sake I read that after I made the post! It sounds like all might not be lost since Laser Reflections might be picking the paper up. I'm still going to buy some just to get my Grandson started.

8. resident K

resident K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's the kind of info I was looking for and I think I'll order some, but did you find #3 to be a true grade #3. I read elsewhere that Slavich is about 1/2 step up in grade contrast compared to Ilford papers. It really doesn't matter since I'll figure that out myself(ourselves), but I was just curious./

Slavich papers have always been characterized with some instability of their properties. For example, you can buy grade 3 and receive grade 4 in reality or contrariwise.:wink:. So you must test it. But nevertheless, I think, Slavich maintains some unique qualities of true graded silver papers which you can not get with others. I m working for many years mostly with modern or old-soviet Slavich paper and don't need of smth else.:D

9. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So... I think we should organize this as a group thing. I know I'd be in.

10. John Wiegerink

John Wiegerink Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm in!

11. MaximusM3

MaximusM3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Had all grades tested by Fred Newman at the View Camera store. Exposed all grades with my LPL4500II (2,3 and 4) with 21 steps tablet and developed in LPD replenished. All were a full grade off (4 was 3, 3 was 2 and 2 was 1).

Attached Files:

12. John Wiegerink

John Wiegerink Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Whoa! I had heard they were not on the money grade wise, but thought I had read they were off in the other direction. Still want to get some of this paper and I sent off an email to Laser Reflections this morning so we'll see what they have to say. JohnW

13. John Wiegerink

John Wiegerink Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Slavich paper order from Laser Reflections...................

I sent an email to Laser Reflections yesterday and received a reply back from Bernadette about my/our inquire. Here's a copy of the email sent and her reply:
    (sent) Hi Ron or Bernadette,
    I was told that Freestyle will no longer supply us with Slavich graded papers and was directed to Laser Reflections as a new distributor. Is it true that you will be importing Slavich papers? I didn't see any sign of that on your web site. I have several folks who might be interested in doing a group order and was wondering about availability and price.
    Any info would be a great help,
    Thanks,
    John Wiegerink

(reply) John,
    Thank you for the inquiry. I am still gathering pricing information from my distributor in Lithuania. If you could let me know what paper weight and type you and the other folks are most likely to order, it would help a lot. Availability doesnÂ’t seem to be a problem and the price should be reasonable from what I have seen so far.
    Best regards,
    Bernadette Olson

Laser Reflections
    P.O. Box 655
    Seabeck, WA 98380
    Tel: 360-830-5936

So, I guess we have to see who wants what and get back to her. The problem with me doing it is that everything has to be via email since I suffer from severe nerve deafness and cannot use the phone, which makes things a little hard for me in the communications department. I think if we just cold at least give her a little "heads up" as to what we want it would at least get the ball rolling. What do you think? JohnW

14. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    8x10, 11x14, grade 2 and grade 3.

BTW: Am I high or do I currently see Slavich papers for sale on Freestyle?

15. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    When the stock at Freestyle runs out, they will not get more, just called Freestyle and they confirmed.