Slide processing - book recommendation(s)

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Sanjay Sen, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Sanjay Sen

Sanjay Sen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello folks!

I need help with book recommendations - what is a good book to learn color slide processing from? I am currently shooting 135 & 120 color slides (Velvia 50) and the lab I used has stopped processing 120 films. Sending film out or going to NYC is a hassle. I would like to learn slide processing and if it's not too complicated, do my own processing. Please bear in mind that I have never developed my own films, but am planning to start soon!

A quick forum search on this question did not turn up any results. Any advice/suggestions/recommendations will be much appreciated.

Best,

2. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    BTW start with B&W negatives. Learn to load film and handle chemicals. Once you've got those basic skills down then move on to E-6.

4. Sanjay Sen

Sanjay Sen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you for the suggestion. I was going to start with B&W and then move to E-6. I have some books that cover B&W processing, but none that deals with E-6 processing, hence the question.

Regards,

5. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can't say, other than the product data sheets that the various companies publish, that I have ever seen a book dedicated to E6 processing, I have an extensive collection of books and many on darkroom and processing, and other than a few small blurbs, there really is not much dedicated to the E6 process in any of them.

Dave

6. Jordan

Jordan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sanjay, the basic techniques are the same, though E-6 is much less forgiving of timing errors and requires absolute temperature control. I don't know of any books explicity about colour developing, but the information sheets that come with E-6 kits usually have all the info you could need.

7. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Good suggestions, or just send your film to Calypso (http://www.calypsoinc.com/). Their prices are great and turnaround fast.

8. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    There aren't many creative options with E-6 processing in general, so there isn't as much reason for there to be a popular book on the subject, though I'm sure there are some very technical books on E-6. Just get one of the kits, and follow the directions carefully. With B&W you can experiment more, because you don't have to worry about color shifts.

As the others suggest, start with B&W just to get used to handling film, agitation, and the basics.

For E-6, I've had good results with the Tetenal 3-bath kit, which is convenient for normal processing and one-stop push processing with Kodak and Fuji films. I recommend using it one-shot for push processing, or reusing only once for normal processing, although they give instructions for running three batches through one set of working solutions.

For more control or greater than one stop push, the Kodak and Tetenal 6-bath kits are better.

9. Baxter Bradford

Baxter Bradford Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I agree with David, the instructions in the chemical kit should be fine and also there are pdfs on the Jobo website which are helpful.

Also concur that E6 ought not be the first development process which you experience. The Jobo machines can make life much easier and are available used, from auction sites or dealers making a big saving over the retail price. The ATL Jobo machines are even better since they run the process of your choice automatically. They are correspondingly dearer though.

Robert's advice of finding a commercial processor with good quality makes sense if you are not going to be processing large amounts.

Personally the ability to push/pull individual sheets of 5x4 without having to spend half a day going to the lab clinched the decision to home process. If you are using bracketing then this need is negated and commercial may well be more convenient.

10. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Another option for home processing that is really pretty inexpensive if you find a good used machine is the Phototherm Sidekick, I have one and it works great for B&W, C41 and E6, they can be had for about $300.00 Plus or Minus on Ebay, often times they will be machines that have been retired from photo stores, Phototherm is a very easy company to work with and great people.

Dave

11. srs5694

srs5694 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I don't know of any books specifically about E-6, but The Basic Darkroom Book by Tom Grimm covers E-6 and C-41, in addition to B&W processing. As others have said, the basic procedures are the same for all three types of processing; it's just the details of the chemicals used, the temperatures at which they're used, and the timing of the steps that differs. Also as others have said, there's less room for creative adjustments (choices in developers, etc.) in color work, although there are some things you can vary and experiment with, as in push or pull processing or cross-processing (processing E-6 in C-41, C-41 in E-6, or either of these in B&W). There are also several manufacturers of chemistry and a few formulas available online if you choose to mix it yourself. Ideally these would all work identically, but in practice there can be some differences between them.

12. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have mentioned this book on other threads. It's called The Rotary Processor Manual by John Tinsley. It deals with C41 as well as E-6 but goes into a lot of detail about kits and even shows colour charts for various kits and films.

The ISBN number is:0-902979-11-6. The publisher is R Morgan Publishing. PO Box 11 Chislehurst, Kent BR7 5RH.

It was published 1992 and the problem may be that it could be out of print and may never have crossed the Atlantic anyway.

It deals with Jobo equipment as well. A very good book in my opinion.

I hope you find this or something else that covers the subject.A look on Amazon U.S and U.K. may turn it up

pentaxuser