slide projector question

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by destroya, Jul 24, 2013.

1. destroya

destroya Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    looks like i got a little to excited with my med format drive. got the camera, a few lenses and some film. developed the slides and wow, i was blown away. but now what? i have a minolta 5400 scanner and a projector for 35mm but nothing for the 6x7. well went to my local camera store where i bought the camera and the guy who sold them the pentax system brought in his hasselblad pcp 80 projector. comes with 3 trays, 4 spare lamps, 60 gebe N glass mounts and a few extra things. is in mint condition except for the lens fell and cracked the outside edge which was glued back on. they assure me it doesnt effect the picture and looking at it i dont see how it could effect the pict. but it comes with a 14 day return policy. also on craigs list there is a rollei P11 dual format projector with lamps for 35mm and 6x6 projection. 2 35mm trays but no 6x6 trays.

i can get the pcp 80 for under $1,000 and the rollei is asking $380. the only thing holding me back is having to trim by slides down to fit in a 6x6 mount. i can compose them going forward to fit, but why not get e 6x6 camera? the 6x7 projector options are more than im willing to spend. i figure if there are any real keepers that i'll just pay for a good drum scan of the one or two off slides.

so, any thoughts? does anyone else crop their slides to fit 6x6 mounts?

thanks

john

2. Prof_Pixel

Prof_Pixel Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Given the uncertain future of 120 slide films, I'd really have to think long and hard before blowing $1000 on a slide projector (or even $380).

3. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a 6x4.5 back with my RB67 and 6x4.5 mounts.

I also have a 6x4.5 camera and a 6x6 camera, and shoot slides with them as well.

4. Alan Klein

Alan Klein Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why don't you scan them, post process them and show on your HDTV. I've done that with my 6x7 and they look pretty good on my 52" HDTV. It's also a snap to set up to show people when they're over. You can still go with the projector but you may be satisfied with the HDTV.

5. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A properly projected slide looks so much better than a digital scan, resized down to 2.025 megapixels to fit on to a "high definition" TV.

6. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Get a slide projector and enjoy it. There's more to life than a big screen digital TV.

7. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The other day I endured over an hour of someone's holiday pictures....on the 3 inch screen on the back of his (very expensive) digital camera. :blink:

Bring back slide shows!

8. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why just 120 film? Isnt E6 in general dying?

9. mnemosyne

mnemosyne Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    6x7 projectors are rare and expensive (Götschmann comes to my mind), but maybe not more expensive than a Hasselblad projector?
    If you want to confine yourself to 6x6 than I would suggest one of the newer Rollei projectors (P66 series) with a GOOD lens (Schneider AV Xenotar, huge difference over the standard "Heidosmat" lens!). Stay away from the Rollei P11, as it is quite dim and takes bulbs that are difficult to source, IIRC. The Schneider Xenotar lenses are a bit rare but not impossible to get with a bit of patience. I don't worry too much about the future of slide film, I shoot color as long as it is available and then there will still be b&w slides.

10. JDP

JDP Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes I shoot at 6x7 sometimes and cut the negs down to 6x6 so I can project with my 6x6 projector. Hate doing it though, seems cutting through a slide is just 'wrong' even if it it improves the composition!

11. Hatchetman

Hatchetman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Depends how much money you have to blow. I would get the 6x6 projector and take photos knowing you were going to crop. That way you won't feel bad about cutting the film to fit the mounts.

12. Muihlinn

Muihlinn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    you're shooting 6x7, not 6x6, so buying a 6x6 one won't be a lot of help. A 6x7 projector - a pro format until the advent of useable digital backs - ain't gonna be cheap (or MF for such case) unless you get very, very lucky.

13. Muihlinn

Muihlinn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    it all depends on how many slides you have already.
    In my case it can be a few thousands.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Muihlinn

Muihlinn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    looks like yes, but instead burying it in advance, let's enjoy what's left!

16. destroya

destroya Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    good thoughts, thanks. even if e-6 is dying im gonna enjoy it while i can. but i crave something other than a light table to view my good pix. i have a 35mm projector so i can only imagine what a larger slide would look like. i guess my other option is to get a MF scanner and use a hybrid workflow like i do for 35mm slides (i print B&W the old fashion way). now scanners, thats another can of worms

17. mesantacruz

mesantacruz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    okay... so first i thought... WHAT! cut your negatives, but if you do have the money to blow on stuff like that (i don't)... but if you DO and if I did.. i would totally buy the 6x7... which would also accomodate 6x6 if you also have the money to switch!... I also agree that it would be so awesome to see those negatives on a projector..

** lots of goodwills and salvation armies.. are getting old photo equipment like projectors, although some are smartening up (goodwill now has an auctions site)... some go so far as to throw away film equipment on ground of no one wants it... IF no one at the shop does any research, you might be so lucky as to find a projector for maybe as little as you can imagine...

Get the numbers of these places online, and start calling... or visiting. trust me... $1000 bucks is a lot to spend (for me)... so some money saved, with some time invested, might be worth it.

18. Alan Gales

Alan Gales Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If you want to go cheap, Kindermann's work well for 6x6 and 6x4.5. I paid about $150.00 for mine several years ago. I have seen a few go since for around $100.00.

19. wiltw

wiltw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Even a projected 135 format slide looks better than the pathetic 1920x1040 resolution of HDTV! Digital projection is about 2Megapixels, cameras have had 8Megapixels since 2004, now they have 20Megapixels and the projection technology can't even deal with 2004 technology. Hearing gasps of amazement from viewers who see medium format slides right after 135 format slides, which stand heads and shoulders better than 135 lets you appreciate the pathetic state of digital projection and LED displays.

20. Jim Rice

Jim Rice Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Lantern slide format (3 1/4" x 4 1/4") projectors can be found in the $100 range. Look for something from the '40s or '50s, toward the end of the format.

21. Alan Gales

Alan Gales Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I used to be a member of St. Louis Camera Club back in the 1980's. They would project 35mm slides for critique at meetings. Every once in a while they would show a super slide taken with a medium format camera. The crowd would be amazed. Now I don't know the dimensions of a super slide but at the time I was told it was smaller than a full medium format image.

Today the club has gone digital and they now use a digital projector. My, how far we have come since the mid 1980's. :laugh:

22. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    In some cases we have taken a humongous leap backwards since the 1980's.:smile:

23. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The "super slide" format was the format one obtained when shooting slide film in 127 cameras. The slides - 46mm x 46mm typically - fit in mounts that will work in 35mm slide projectors.

24. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This remind me on one joke from Austin Powers movie: first he had analog video link in his car in 60's and quality was great. When he was frozen and released in the 90's - he had digital video link - and it was slow, jittering, it sucked :smile:.

@OP: about projector: life is too short - if you can buy it - go for it. We all spend money on extra equipment that we don't really need, but if it will make you happy - GO! :smile:

25. thuggins

thuggins Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    What about using one of those overhead transparency projectors that used to be so common in classrooms?

26. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format