Slightly pink hue?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by ToddB, Dec 2, 2012.

1. ToddB

ToddB Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ok.. Developed a roll of 120 this weekend and noticed that they had a slight hue of pink. Is my fix getting tired or d-76?

ToddB

2. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    What film? I know with films I have been using (Delta 400, Tmax 100) they have a slight tint but if there is a lot of pink it's a sign they're not fixed enough. I had to re-fix some negatives a few weeks ago.

3. Andrew K

Andrew K Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    if it's one of the "newer film types" (T Max/Delta) then you need to fix them for 50% longer to get rid of the Pink tint.

From memory when T Max first came out Kodak used to recomment using a particular solution to clear the pink tint form the film base....

4. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I forgot which film has the pink tint. I think it's Tmax. You just need to wash it longer. It will eventually come out. If your developer was tired, then you get totally clear or very thin film. If your fixer was tired, you get creamy film with sort of fogging looking thing all over.

I think what you are observing is the dye... which will wash out if you wash longer.

5. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's common with Tmax. I have a green hue in my fix from processing Arista EDU.

6. Rudeofus

Rudeofus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've seen the same pink hue with Tri-X 400 lately and assume that, like with T-MAX, a refix is called for.

7. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Inactive

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    So what happens if I don't refix it? Will anything bad happen? I've seen the same thing for the newer tri-x 120 I've bought, but the older tri-x is fine and I haven't changed anything in the process... Older like 6 months older... Vs new from store...

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A refix is in order. You may experience image degradation if you dont.

9. Rudeofus

Rudeofus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If the red hue indicates poor fixing (and people more knowledgeable than me say so), you are bound to see all the problems associated with poor fixing, in several years at least.

10. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    a two-bath fixingandusing a washing aid followed by a 15-minute was will get rid of the pink, or live with it,because it does not that it harm anything.it is purely cosmetic.

11. snederhiser

snederhiser Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello Todd;
    Try the following, which has been covered many times! Presoaking, fixer, using Hypo Clearing Agent, and better washing. The Formulary sells a Tmax fixer. In my case turned out to be using old fixer. Now I mix new fixer every 60 days and use HCA, Steven.

12. ToddB

ToddB Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hey guys.. I use Ilford Delta 100. I was thnking the fix might be getting tired.

Todd

13. sly

sly Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yup, probably the fix. I've not had to refix negs since I started using hypo-check.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2012
  14. Sponsored Ad
  15. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Inactive

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    It's so strange on another forum I saw someone say that the newer tri-x just had a pink hue and it was normal, something about the way they did something to it at the factory.

Two we are getting mixed signals, some say age will change the film, some say it won't matter and is aesthetic.

The reason I'm hesitant is more because I have already cut the film into individual pieces and so to re-fix properly I would have to do 15 rolls one image at a time or they will stick together... So I won't do it if its just aesthetic... I did both ilford D3200 and tri-x 400 and only the tri-x is pink.

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

16. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm not sure a slight pink hue is a bad thing. In my case they were pink enough (and therefore under-fixed enough) that they were cloudy, which was quite apparent when scanning and printing.

I suppose there are some long-term archival considerations but I don't really think that my negatives are that good, I will be doing the world a favour if they don't last. :smile:

17. brbeck

brbeck Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've found with Tmax if there is a slight pink hue it will wash out with a 15 minute final wash. With more pink in the film I refix and it all goes away. I've never has any film when dried have a pink hue.

18. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Inactive

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Yea this was a dry pink hue, it's VERY slight... And I don't have any clarity issues, images are crisp.

~Stone

19. sly

sly Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Refix! Some of my old negs, a decade or two old are unprintable now. They have nasty yellow-brown splotches. Bad fix will get ya.

You can refix and wash in a tray, if the negs are already cut. A plastic covered paper clip opened into an S, can be looped through a sprocket hole for hanging 35mm strips.

20. lensmagic

lensmagic Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The pink stain is real. For certain in the TMax films. What is it? Why do Kodak put it in the film in the first place?

21. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    to prevent light from bouncing off the film base back into the emulsion. it's called the anti halation layer. it's a good thing!

22. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    TMax and Delta need more time in Hypo. Some say 50%, I have sometimes had to double the time even with fresh Hypo.

23. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Inactive

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Ralph says its good, sly says re-fix...

Also all of my images are 120 cut not 35mm so can't use paper clips...

~Stone

24. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Inactive

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Dumb question, is this the same as hypo?

[​IMG]

~Stone

25. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No, the wetting agent helps the water flow off the film without leaving streaks.

Sold by FreeStyle, one of APUG's sponsors http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_search.php?rfnp=30&q=hypo&rfnc=303&

26. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm