Slow shutter speeds - waterfalls etc..

Discussion in 'Landscape' started by rayonline_nz, Jan 15, 2012.

1. rayonline_nz

rayonline_nz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi, as I shoot film, after research, I found that all (?) of the solid ND filters have a cast. So how do you guys use ND filters? Do you just shoot early/late in the day and use slow film and maybe cheaper slower lenses that allows you to stop down to f/22 and maybe a weak ND filter and a CPOl perhaps?

I have this with my supposedly B+W filter, not sure if it is what is expected.
    6 stop http://www.flickr.com/photos/31194022@N00/6697896961/

2. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Probably film effects, rather than from the spectrum of the filter. Your images demonstrate that the three colored emulsions on your film don't have the same reciprocity characteristics.

3. joenail

joenail Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I just tend to overexpose by a stop, or a half stop if using slide. My knowledge with colour films is limited though as I only really use black & white.

4. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use slower film and if I have them with me ND filters. If the waterfalls fills most of the frame, start with 1/4 second or 1/2 second. As the waterfall becomes a smaller part of the photograph, I suggest that you lengthen the exposure time accordingly.

5. David Allen

David Allen Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    A different approach (and effect) that you might like to try out is multiple exposures of the waterfall on a single piece of film. For example instead of exposing at 2sec @ f 22 try 8 exposures at 1/4 sec at f22. Both Wynn Bullock and John Blakemore have used this technique to great effect. I was also very pleased with the resulting images when, many moons ago, I used to do in the field landscapes.

Best,

David
    www.dsallen.de