Slow working developers

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Gary Holliday, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Gary Holliday

Gary Holliday Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm wondering if anyone can offer a few suggestions for slower working developers.

I need lots of contrast and preferably colder toners. At present, I'm experimenting with new developers, with Dokumol being the latest. Basically with stronger dilutions, the image is emerging too quickly, so something which works slower.

2. Lowell Huff

Lowell Huff Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    With modern high contrast formulas, development can be slowed by extreme dilution

3. nworth

nworth Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Since prints are developed to near completion, the paper pretty well determines both the contrast and the image tone. The developer has some effect, but not a whole lot. You might look into Agfa 108, Beers No. 7, and the high contrast mix of D-64 to get a little more contrast. Amidol also gives high contrast, but it may warm the image some, and it always works fast. Diluting the developer lengthens the working time, but it may warm the image a bit with some developers. I've used Dektol at 1+5 to get some more time, and I've seen recommendations for dilutions up to 1+14 for some similar developers.

4. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not quite true, all the companies used to produce a range of paper developers.

Agfa Adaptol, Kodak Selectol Soft, Ilford ID-3 are all very soft working and will reduce paper contrast by between a half to almost a full grade. And then there are contrast developers like ID-14 which will give about a half grade increase in contrast.

On top of this you can have warm or cold tone developers, a warmtone paper gives cold tones in a cold tone developer.

So choice of paper developer can be critical when you want to get the best print from your paper.

Diluting your developer 1+14 instead of 1+9 will give you a slow down in developing time.

Some papers have developer incorporators which speed up the development, in that case dilution has far less effect.

Ian

5. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    If you want to use a strong developer and have it work slowly, which seems at odds in concept, you might try really cold temperature developer. Seems like that would slow down the activity.

6. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I think I just thought of the obvious answer to your quest...slow working, strong dilution, cold tones. Add a bunch of benzotriazole to your developer. Should slow it down, keep it contrasty, and make for cold tones.

7. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just the dilution will do, add a bit of benzotriazole if you want but processing at a temperature below about 65°F/18°C is not a good idea they tend not to work properly.

Ian

8. Rich Ullsmith

Rich Ullsmith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ansco 130 diluted? It gives a great black, and has good tray life.

9. Gary Holliday

Gary Holliday Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Cheers! Edwal Liquid Orthazite should do that then.