SLR mirror bumper foam

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by EdGallop, May 16, 2012.

1. EdGallop

EdGallop Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I know this question must have been asked before (probably several times) but I couldn't find it.

I have a Yashica FX-103 that needs new light seals and mirror bumper. I've replaced light seals before so that's no problem. I do have a question about the mirror bumper...

How close is the tolerance on these things. The reason I ask is that the foam that I have is not the same type of foam or the same thickness as what was originally on the camera. The thickness is pretty darn close, but not exactly the same. I have craft foam (like some use for light seals). Would that work for a mirror bumper? I also have some felt left from my light seal replacement on my electro 35. If the craft foam won't work, would the felt be ok?

Thanks for helping out a newbie.

Ed

2. dehk

dehk Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Should work if its close enough.

3. kerne

kerne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Give Jon Goodman (Interslice) a holler at jgood21967@aol.com his light seal kits always fit perfectly. :smile:

But, I agree with dehk. It doesn't necessarily have to be millimeter perfect. Generally the foam Jon uses for the mirror bumper is a softer open cell foam than that used for the rear light seal to help absorb to the impact. Heavy craft foam tends to be much firmer. With felt, I might be slightly concerned about the fibers coming loose and mucking about in the inner workings.

4. EdGallop

EdGallop Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I hadn't thought about that.

I have heard of Mr. Goodman's kits. I was just kind of thinking of this as a diy project to keep me busy for a day or so.

I did think of a solution, though. I have some of those foam paint "brushes" and those are open cell foam. I can cut a tiny slice off with an exacto knife and see how that compares. I think it should work.

Just wanted to make sure that I don't have to get it perfect. Foam is kind of difficult to measure accurately with a pair of calipers.

Ed

5. EdGallop

EdGallop Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Oh, and I'm kind of a tinkerer, and I really believe in self-reliance. If I can do it myself, then I feel a kind of accomplishment that I wouldn't generally feel if I used a kit.

I'm sure that those kits are great, but I'm just kind of strange that way. :blink:

Ed

6. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The mirror bumper does nothing but to cushion the mirror when slaps against some hard surface. It has no function in keeping the mirror at a specific angle or position. Unless it's widely off in terms of thickness, it'll be fine.

7. EdGallop

EdGallop Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    cool... that's what I was hoping to hear. LOL

Thanks!

8. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Will work fine. Mirror foam can be less thick than original, but not thicker as it may block mirror from moving totally out the way.