SLR shutter replacement

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by unitednations161, Oct 24, 2012.

1. unitednations161

unitednations161 Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I have a Nikon N2000 and a pentax ME super and was wondering If its still possible to to get the shutter replaced? I know its most likely cheaper to buy another body on ebay or something but I really want to keep these cameras like new since they are so old. What would be a typical cost of a shutter replacement? I found a replacement shutter for the nikon thats 40 dollars, but where can you find a pentax one and how much does installation cost?

2. dynachrome

dynachrome Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You are right about getting another one rather than repairing what you have. I would look for an N2020 instead. Its auto focus is slow and primitive but as a manual focus camera iot has a lot going for it. There are loads of ME Supers floating around for not much money. This was an amateur camera so most do not show too much wear.

3. chriscrawfordphoto

chriscrawfordphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It'll likely cost $150-$200 to have a tech install a new shutter, plus cost of the parts.

4. unitednations161

unitednations161 Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    yes i understand the cost is cheaper to buy different ones but im fine with that these cameras have sentimental value. So thats why im asking. I guess 200 isnt that bad. After its fixed it should last me for a long time again correct?

5. unitednations161

unitednations161 Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    the 2020 is the same camera besides the auto focus correct?

6. PentaxBronica

PentaxBronica Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Is the ME Super suffering from the non-cocking shutter fault? As in you wind on, press the button, and nothing?

From what I understand this is due to a single component rather than the shutter proper and should be sorted by a CLA. The shutter mechanisms in these are pretty reliable if used regularly, however I do notice that a fair number of "wardrobe find" SLRs with this shutter suffer from the fault. I'd imagine that it's a part which has seized over time and therefore doesn't drop into the correct place.

7. unitednations161

unitednations161 Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    No the ME works fine. Its the n2000 that im having problems with. Will one of my 3 n2000s The shutter seems slow. like its sticky

8. PentaxBronica

PentaxBronica Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It probably just needs a CLA if it's slow, rather than any replacement parts. From your first post I thought both cameras were faulty hence my suggestion!

9. unitednations161

unitednations161 Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Sorry for the confusion i was just asking about that as well because im sure it wont last forever.