Small m42 compatible SLR?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by mcgrattan, May 7, 2006.

1. mcgrattan

mcgrattan Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi,

My main SLR is currently an EOS-650 which I use with an eos-m42 adapter to mount my screwmount lenses -- a couple of Super Takumars (55 and 135mm) and some Chinon, Tamron and Soviet made lenses.

I'm generally happy with it but I'd like a second body and I'd like something small -- the EOS isn't that heavy but it's still pretty large.

I have two Chinon CS m42 SLRs which are excellent but they are fairly bulky and I'm planning to sell them and pick up something smaller with the proceeds.

So, what's a good SLR which will take m42 mount lenses and which is lightweight and small? Some kind of metering is good, aperture priority auto-exposure with the manual lenses is even better. I have no need for autofocus capability on the camera, I have that with EF mount lenses on the EOS.

Ideally, an adapter wouldn't be needed.

I have a little Pentax ME-F which is unfortunately faulty but which is a great size. Something that small would be brilliant.

2. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi, You may wish to take a look at the Voigtlander Bessaflex SLR (made by Cosina).

http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/voigtlander.htm#LabelSLR

I bought one of these camera bodies to mount my large collection of 42mm thread mount lenses. I like the camera a lot. It has a very large, bright pentaprism and a very accurate (stop down) metering system.

3. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Spotmatic Electro have aperture priority, IIRC, but I think it depends on the use of SMC-takumar lenses, which have a special coupling pin to transmit aperture data to the body (give it a googling). Otherwise, I think you have to settle for stop-down metering.

All the other Spotmatic models are very small, nicely built cameras, with metering, flash synch, shutter delay action (except on the 500 and 1000 models). The best manual spottie is the F model, because you can do open-aperture metering on it with SMC taks.

4. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Although you prefer not to use an adapter, a small K-mount body (the ME Super comes to mind) would make a great, tiny screw-mount body. Since most screw-mount bodies feature stop-down metering only, you wouldn't lose any functionality compared to a native screw-mount body. You'd also get the possibility of using K-mount lenses which are pretty interesting in their own right.

5. Uncle Bill

Uncle Bill Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would say after reading your requirements, check out the Pentax Spotmatic II or F. I have both and I am very happy with them.

Bill

6. DBP

DBP Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Fujica screwmounts are about the size of an OM-1 and should fit the bill. They are are also relatively unsought after, and therefore cheap.

7. tony lockerbie

tony lockerbie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you want small the best bet is the Pentax spotmatic, but if you want new then the obvious choice is the Voigt/ Cosina Bessaflex for all the reasons mentioned above by Tom.

8. mcgrattan

mcgrattan Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I definitely don't want new. Cheap is my main concern (after size).

I looked up the Fujicas and they look to be a similar size to the Pentax ME which is pretty tiny and a good 20mm smaller all round than my Chinon CS(s).

Thanks for all recommendations. I've always liked the look of the Olympus OMs -- my uncle has one which he's used since I was a child-- but they won't mount m42 lenses so they aren't really much use, sorry.

9. titrisol

titrisol Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you have $300 go for the Bessaflex.
    Otherwise call Eric Hendrickson or email him (pentaxrepairs@aol.com) to see if he has a spotmatic II for sale.
    His website is here: http://pentaxs.com/

10. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How about an Olympus OM with an M42 to Olympus lens mount adapter?

11. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Vivtar XC 3 is the smallest and lightest 42MM camera that I have ever come across. I bought one in the 70's along with with a Chinon with a winder, but in most sitiutations I used the XC3, just so handy. The XC has an electronic shutter so it is battery dependent. The Vivtar gave out on my last trip to Death Valley, the mirror and shutter hung up in the heat. In terms of adaptors, I have used both a K mount and Nikon adaptors and found that the K adaptor would not meter wider than 28mm and the Nikon vineated lens longer than 200mm.

12. mawz

mawz Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Pentax MX with an adaptor is a good choice for small, light and effective. I use one of these as well as a Chinon CM-3 (Early version of the Cosina SLR) and both are compact, have good metering and are reasonably light.

You could also get a Rebel Ti and use your adaptor. While larger than a real M42 body, it will also be lighter (As these are some of the lightest 35mm SLR's ever made)