Small Schneiders

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Curt, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Anyone own the smallest Schneider made? 100mm Symmar 5.6 MC

2. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have a 100mm Symmar convertible, if that helps. It's not MC, though.

But there are smaller Schneider lenses: 80mm Symmar, 65mm Angulon, 50mm Xenar... Maybe you mean "smallest Schneider lens that gets close to covering 4x5"? The 65mm Angulon would still be a candidate, for a given value of "coverage". And it's is a tiny little 00 shutter!

3. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's a Schneider 100mm f/5.6 Symmar-S MC which the vintage chart from Schneider indicates that it will cover a 2x3. I am not sure yet that it will cover a 4x5. I want to put one on my Busch C 2x3. Have you used it in the convertible configuration? This one isn't marked on the Copal 0 shutter as a convertible but neither is my Schneider Symmar-S 210. Any idea of what the conversion would be in length?

Thanks Ole,
    Curt

Do you know of any Bjorndahl's in Norway?

4. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Schneider claim 143mm coverage at f:16 for the convertible Symmar, which just touches the corners of 9x12cm. Knowing Schneider, it should just cover 4x5" at f:22, maybe with slightly soft corners?

I haven't tried mine, I received it just before I left home last week. But it's on the "list to do" on the 4x5" Speed Graphic as soon as I get home again.

Symmar-S'es weren't designed to be convertible, so the corrections of the rear cell may be less good (or "more bad") than of the plain Symmar. The rear cell of the Symmar 100mm f:5.6 is 175mm f:12.

5. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  6. ReallyBigCameras

ReallyBigCameras Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Just FYI... The 150mm f5.6 Xenar covers 4x5 with a bit to spare. It takes 34mm filters and comes in a Copal No. 0 shutter. The 150mm f9 G Claron is nearly as small (35.5mm filters, Copal or Compur No. 0) and covers 5x7 with movements. If you find one in a late style all black Compur 0 shutter it will only weight about 135g. Both of these are smaller than the 100mm Symmar-S and cover more.

Kerry

7. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What do you mean by smallest? They made cine camera lenses, still make lenses for machine vision and CCTV cameras.

8. Bandicoot

Bandicoot Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have one of these and it is a very nice lens on 6x9 (cm), allowing reasonable movements. It won't quite cover 4x5 (in.), but works well as a gentle wideangle on 6x12 (cm). Schneider quotes the image circle as 143mm at f22.

Peter

9. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Dear Curt,

Yup. Lovely little bottle. I use it on my 'baby' Linhof with 6x7 backs.

Cheers,

R.

10. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Roger, I am going to replace the 101mm Wollensak with the Schneider 100mm when it comes. I hope I can adjust the Kalart to work with the new lens.

Regards,
    Curt

11. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Roger, the lens came and it looks new, not a mark to show that it was ever mounted. The shutter is a Copal for Wista NO.O. I put it on my 4x5 and it covered with a little room and it converts as a triple. But I am going to used it on my 23 and not in a converted state. It's a nice 100 mm lens.

Regards,
    Curt